$61 brat hahaha

Started by Zambian Kid, December 14, 2015, 08:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zambian Kid

Hello everyone,

I got a brat to add to my collection. Have 2 questions I need help with.

1. Can I connect 2 pannels in series to charge at 12V or is that only for MPPT
2. Can someone explain what parallel means with PV + and BAT + linked and what's the pros and cons with a picture of them linked.

Thanks
Opti Solar SP1200 12V hybrid inverter,
2x Ollandia HP12-100DG batteries sealed lead Acid maintenance free deep Cycle GEL batteries,
6x100w panels, 3strings in parallel,
And the KID,
yet to install the whizbang

brad.midnite

1. If those panels are 12V panels, put them in parallel instead. Putting them in series will put each panel well into its short-circuit current range. You will see no gain in power.

2. The Brat has two power circuits it controls to keep batteries charged and your load operating with timed control/low-voltage disconnect. These circuits are a 20 Amp PV charging circuit and a 10 Amp load control circuit. By attaching your panel(s) to both circuits, you lose the load control features but now The Brat can charge up to 30 Amps.

To do this, connect your panel(s) positive output to PV+ and Load+, and connect your panel(s) negative output to PV- and Load-. One way of doing this is to use four small lengths of wire and wire nuts, i.e., connect the two short wire segments to the positive output of your panel, and insert the other ends into PV+ and Load+. You can connect the panel negative to both PV- and Load- as well though it is not required.

Note: The Brat must be in parallel mode for this to work as well. And that switch can only be enabled with The Brat unpowered (either by PV or battery). So I recommend you start with a completely unpowered Brat, setup your switches as you want, including the parallel mode, then connect the battery. Next, connect the panel.

The Brat will only allow parallel charging through the load circuit if the panel(s) are actually connected to both circuits. Therefore, before The Brat begins charging, it verifies the voltage at both inputs is the same. If they do not match, you will get a parallel error. If you get this before finishing wiring up the inputs, don't fear, just finish wiring the unit then hold down the Test/Reset switch for ~ 3 seconds to clear the error. If the wiring is correct and the sun is up, charging will begin shortly. If not, the error will reappear.

-Brad

Zambian Kid

Thank you for clearing that up Brad. So is there any real gain in running parallel and will it charge up quicker if I use a load of around 8-9amp on the load curcuit. I ask this as I wanna run a 8amp 12v surflow 60psi 5.5gpm pump to meet my water needs at home. I currently have 8hours no grid power per day and I'm a mechanic so would like to have a shower when I get home. I come home to no power 5 days a week and it sucks. Do you think that setup would be able to cope with what I want? What amp hour battey bank do u suggest I try get?

Cheers
2x Ollandia HP12-100DG batteries sealed lead Acid maintenance free deep Cycle GEL batteries,
And the KID,

brad.midnite

There's no benefit to using parallel mode if the total current of your panels in parallel is less than 20 amps.

Zambian Kid

Ok great info. Thank you very much brad!
And the KID,

toothy

Just curious, wouldn't a large bladder tank, http://www.homedepot.com/p/Water-Worker-119-Gal-Pressurized-Well-Tank-HT119B/202846488 ,work for the showering after hours? It would fill while on mains power and could be used through out the night.

A battery system would be nice for light and "stuff".

Wade

2-Outback vfx3648's, 16 CALB CA400,   solar Classics 2/200's with 5.6kw of panels, WBjr's, Classic 200 with Kestrel 1kw turbine, Northern lights 10 kw back-up,

Zambian Kid

That would be ideal but the problem is trying to make others understand that it is my water for a shower lol. But thank you wade. Really appriciate the idea
And the KID,