Xmas Lights 2015

Started by brad.midnite, December 14, 2015, 03:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brad.midnite

I bought my first home in October. We hosted Thanksgiving and then scrambled to hang some lights.

For fun, I cobbled together some relay boards for switching the 120 VAC LED christmas lights. There were two circuits of lights, so I built two relay boards. I sealed the cases with liberal helpings of silicone.

The garden shed roof has a steep slope with 2x6s nailed down for safety. It seemed a good temporary method for mounting the panel.

I put The Brat in the shed and placed my Fluke-meter in series with the battery connection. This serves two purposes. The first and most important is the meter's built-in 10A fuse protects the thin wires used to control the relays from short circuit in-case of malfunction (example, lightning strike). Secondly, it monitors current flow.

I have The Brat set up for 5 hour load control. Dusk is occuring at ~ 4:30 PM (getting a little earlier each day).

It's been fun to drive home each night with my lights on.

http://imgur.com/a/B2oUr

Doug

Very Nice!

I never thought of using a Fluke meter for lightning protection, I've been using SPDs.

-D

Halfcrazy

Pretty cool, I have my Brat in my wood boiler building with a 40 watt incandescent 12v bulb. It also powers a wifi bridge and 2 cameras and the data logger for the boiler. The light comes on in the evening for a few hours so the wife can see to go feed the animals
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Zambian Kid

Really cool setup. How exactly did you connect up with the meter?

Looks very festive!
Opti Solar SP1200 12V hybrid inverter,
2x Ollandia HP12-100DG batteries sealed lead Acid maintenance free deep Cycle GEL batteries,
6x100w panels, 3strings in parallel,
And the KID,
yet to install the whizbang

brad.midnite

In series with the ammeter portion of the meter.

Zambian Kid

Where exactly did you connect both ends of the meter? I'm not very good at these things so as much help and detail would be much appreciated
Opti Solar SP1200 12V hybrid inverter,
2x Ollandia HP12-100DG batteries sealed lead Acid maintenance free deep Cycle GEL batteries,
6x100w panels, 3strings in parallel,
And the KID,
yet to install the whizbang

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Zambian Kid on December 19, 2015, 05:43:54 AM
Where exactly did you connect both ends of the meter? I'm not very good at these things so as much help and detail would be much appreciated

The meter would be in series with one of the power leads - so imagine putting a switch in the circuit to turn the power on and off . The amp meter would go in the same way as a switch - in series.
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable