News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Connecting Bus Bar to Midnite Shunt

Started by Boompy, January 11, 2016, 10:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boompy

Hi there

Just wondering if it is possible to connect a strip of bus bar to the Midnite shunt. I should have ordered the MSHUNT Busbar but didn't - my bad, especially since its being delivered from the other side of the world.

In the meantime, is it feasible to connect a strip of bar to the shunt to accommodate smaller wiring gauges? Are there any spare tapped holes on the shunt for direct connection?

Thanks

Vic

Hi Boompy,

YES  for the MNSHUNT,  you can mount a busbar of your own,  using the two tapped holes on one end of the shunt.

Expect that the threads are tapped for 8-32 screws,  or perhaps for #10 screws.  I have not used the MNSHUNT,  and there appears to be no photo of the side of the shunt with these tapper holes,  and there appears to be no manual for the shunt,  either.

In the WBjr manual,  there are several 3-D images showing the tapped holes where attaching the WB to the shunt is shown.  Here is the Link to the manual,  if you have you do not have one:
http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/Whizbang_manual.pdf

Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Westbranch

KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

TomW

Curious which connections you want "smaller gage wires" on?

I assume not the sense cable as that is an unlikely need.

The shunt power connections should be easy to attach to with a hunk of bus bar or flat stock to the large bolts on the shunt with bolts / screws to attach your smaller cables.

Be aware that if you attach power leads to the sense connection you will skew your current readings due to the way a shunt works.

Hope that helps more than it confuses.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Boompy

Hey guys

Thanks for all your responses, you've been a wonderful help.

The shunt arrived today and I realise I've had a bit of a brain fart. I shouldn't need to attach any smaller gauge wires afterall (well spotted Tom).

Nevertheless, for future projects I do like the option of using a bus bar at the shunt rather than using a bunch of crimped ring connectors on the main shunt bolt. Thanks for the link / reference Westbranch and Vic. Cheers for the advice on the spare terminals at the end of the shunt.

Thanks heaps guys, I really appreciate your help!