Kid Twin mode operational questions

Started by audiodave1, January 18, 2016, 09:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

audiodave1

Hello,
I recently purchased another Kid for my small off grid. Parallel wiring on the inputs and outputs. WBjr connected to the master. Units linked via phone cord of course.
The slave display's twin2 on it's display.  10 awg on all runs.

The question,
Should each controller display it's own KWhr/Ahr charging  readings or do we double what the master says since the WBjr is only on one unit?

Does the slave charging settings need to match the master or does the master bestow it's exact current state onto it regardless?

Thank you for the help,
Dave

Vic

Hi audiodave1,

Welcome to the Forum,

I have not run twin Kids   ...

But,  the WBjr will measure all charge and discharge currents to/from the battery,  when correctly wired.  So,  you should be seeing the total from both Kids charging.

I would bet that the charge settings should be identical on both Kids.

AND,  the cables should be precisely the same length.  If your Kid-to-battery cables are very long at all,  you should try to step them up to a larger size,  by putting a splice box very close to the Kids,  or step up the cable size at the circuit breaker output to the battery,  perhaps.

EDIT:  Here is one of several discussions of Twin Mode:
http://kb1uas.com/mnsforum/index.php?topic=2540.0

Here is a short Post on the wiring,  with a Link to a diagram:
http://www.midnitesolar.com/FAQ/index.php?topic=89.0

FWIW,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

audiodave1

Vic,
Thank you...It would be nice if equal wire length was mentioned in the manual but I could have missed it.  I am violating that rule.

On the WBjr, yeah, I think it should read the total from both but perhaps my wiring is the issue.

Dave