LA, Registers - Import/Export

Started by mike90045, February 03, 2016, 02:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike90045

It was suggested to me that I post this here where Andrew might see it.
Original thread   http://kb1uas.com/mnsforum/index.php?topic=2848.0 

I tried a support ticket and got this back:
I don't know. We in Tech support have as much information as you on this function.  I have no idea if it works.

::)

Has anyone actually uploaded a register file via the LA and had it Import into the Classic ? 
Is there a minimum firmware version that supports it?
And when the register file is installed into the Classic, what happens when the Battery Voltage line is
read in, will that reset all the other values that precede it ? 
I can use a HEX Editor to modify the register file, but will that even help me to simply change the battery setting
to a 12V so the Temp Comp won't have much effect on my battery bank, but still allow me to monitor the temp of the battery.

Quote from: boB on January 03, 2016, 03:59:52 AM...How it knows how many 2.0 V cells you have is by dividing your nominal battery voltage by 2 and that is how it arrives at the factor.

A work around to get less than -0.5 mV per cell would be to set your nominal battery voltage for, say, 1/2 of what
it is.  For instance, if you  have a 48V nominal  battery, tell the Classic that it is a 24V nominal  system ......

Tried to fool around with this today (it was sunny and had an hour in absorb).  Just lost my harvest info for the day.
Could not get the local app to IMPORT registers from my laptop (that I had downloaded via EXPORT 5 minutes earlier)

so now I have 2 questions.

1) the format the Classic expects to see the registers in ?  To me, they appear to be plain text, NOTEPAD seems to read them just fine, but if I change a value in the file, the Classic seems to ignore the upload.  When an upload via Local App is successful, what is the indication on the LA or the Classic ?  rebooting did not load the new values I thought I uploaded

2) I tried changing the Battery Voltage preset, but it re-did ALL the values to the presets, and not having any success getting the Register file to load, I didn't want to try to manually re-fill everything else, so I abandoned that too, to await the wisdom from the forums

Just the first part of the file (and why would line 7 be blank ?  (I munged the MAC address) )
16385,65535,app_version,65535,
16386,65535,net_version,65535,
16387,1849,app_rev,1849,
16389,1839,net_rev,1839,

4101,1224,UNIT_ID,1224,
4102,2014,UNIT_SW_DATE,21.4.2014,
4104,2,InfoFlagsBits3,2,
4106,18045,UNIT_MAC_Address,60:1D:0F:00:nn:nn, 
4109,0,UNIT_IP_Address,0.0.0.0,

and line 152:
4245,60,VbattNominal,60,   
  Apparently it's not as easy as changing this to 12 ?
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

atop8918

The import/export is meant for bulk changes, not really for fine tuning individual settings. If you want to tweak a single setting, you should just use the configuration menu item instead of the register file.

The export feature simply converts the registers to .CSV format which is the simplest, text-based spreadsheet format available(AFAIK). The import feature tries to convert SOME of the imported .CSV back into the Classic. Some values are read only, some are rejected by the Classic if not done in the proper sequence, and some are ignored completely.

If you need to change a setting in the register file for some reason it should be as simple as loading the file into a text editor and then changing the values manually. You'd actually be better off using a spreadsheet program so you don't accidentally delete a comma or newline which will screw up the rest of the file. Make sure to save it as a .CSV file.

Not all registers listed will have an effect. I'm not sure why battery voltage doesn't work for you, though -- there are a lot of settings tied to battery voltage so it's possible that the Classic is rejecting it because the other settings are off too.

The intent of the import/export feature was to help with RMA, multi-device setup, and firmware updates requiring VMM:
- Before you swap out boards export all the registers, then swap boards, boot up and load the register file.
- For firmware updates requiring a VMM, export your registers before you update, update, then import your register file back in.
- For multi-site setups, configure one unit, export the register file, then import it into all remaining Classics in the setup.

mike90045

Ah, thank you.  This clears up several things.
When I save them, I will append .csv to the filename, the LA offers no suggested .ext  I'd not done that before, just left it blank.  Maybe thats why it didn't appear to import anything

I also suspect now, that the battery  voltage appearing at the end, means it would reset all the preceeding values to the voltage presets. :(

Maybe I'll try shifting it's position to the beginning of the file, and see if the other values will then overwrite the 12V presets.

At least in excel, I can print out all my settings and enter them via the LA config

After IMPORTING a register file, do the settings "appear" or does Classic need a reset or power cycle ?

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

mike90045

had time to fiddle with it tonight, and got it working just fine.   Thanks