Classic charging question

Started by trigrong, February 10, 2016, 06:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trigrong

Hello guys!

Recently I found out that Classic charging the batteries from some starting point and doesn't check if batteries has been discharged by some load at the time of charging. For example, the batteried was fully charged and Classic was at Floating mode. Then some load has been added and batteries discharged to 50%. But Classic still stays at Floating mode on sunny day. I need to reset Classic to start charging the batteries again. Is there some options to set to made Classic smarter?

Thank you!
Off Grid, 2 circutes - hybrid Inverters 24V - 600 W and 6 kW in sleep Mode (works on load), MidNite Classic Lite 200, 10x200W poly PVs (160 Volts), batteries bank - 210 A/h PzS with hydrogen recuperation - 1500 cycles.

Westbranch

do you have a WBjr in your system?

Do you have End Amps set?  What value?

What are the charge parameters you have set?
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Vic

Quote from: trigrong on February 10, 2016, 06:49:55 AM
Hello guy!

Recently I found out that Classic charging the batteries from some starting point and doesn't check if batteries has been discharged by some load at the time of charging. For example, the batteried was fully charged and Classic was at Floating mode. Then some load has been added and batteries discharged to 50%. But Classic still stays at Floating mode on sunny day. I need to reset Classic to start charging the batteries again. Is there some options to set to made Classic smarter?
Thank you!

Hi trig..,

The thing that you probably want to set,  is,  '  ReBulk  '.

ReBulk is a voltage setting under Charge,  and it Defaults to 8.0 Volts,  which,  really means that it is turned OFF.   I do not use the Local App,  so do not know where it is,  but on Standard Classics,  it is Charge> Advanced,  and it is on the page with EA ...

ReBulk is not commonly used,  but in certain systems,  it can be useful,  especially if one has a relatively small battery bank,  limited Renewable Energy (RE)  power available, variable RE power due to clouds ...  and so on.

So,  it will be up t you to determine just where you want the RB voltage to be set.  Just be certain that it is set below Float voltage.

As you know,  in general,  the RE source of power will provide ALL of its available power to trying to keep the batteries at Float voltage,  so,  in reality  trying to start a new Bulk stage will not add any additional battery charging,  unless the large load that you suggested went OFF,  or perhaps the PVs had been putting out reduced power due to clouds,  etc.

IMO,  RB is not very often used these days.   Many of us are trying to reduce the number of Charge cycles on our batteries,  and RB is an added charge cycle on a given day ...  nothing that I would want to do ...

FWIW,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

zoneblue

Float doesnt mean the battery isnt charging. Quite the opposite, it will charge just fine in float. See this view from yesterday when i was doing some garden watering in t he afternoon. The fickle sun kept going behind a thick cloud. You can see the blue charging that recurs each time the bank is drawn down, after float started at 1500hrs.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

trigrong

Westbranch,  what is WBjr?  I have option Ending Amps which is 0  and a check box to use WBjr for ending amps.

Vic,  ReBulk Volts set to 8.   What settings should be there?

zoneblue,  I've seen that volts went to 23.5 on 24 volt system under load, there was no clouds at all and floating mode showed just around 10 Amps.  After I reset Classic, it started Bulk charging with 50 Amps and around 27 volts

I have traction batteries 24 v 210 Ah with recuperation of hydrogen   (PzS) It  can be used up to 15-20 years.
Off Grid, 2 circutes - hybrid Inverters 24V - 600 W and 6 kW in sleep Mode (works on load), MidNite Classic Lite 200, 10x200W poly PVs (160 Volts), batteries bank - 210 A/h PzS with hydrogen recuperation - 1500 cycles.

TomW

Quote from: trigrong on February 11, 2016, 06:49:57 AM
Westbranch,  what is WBjr?

trigrong;

The WBjr or Whiz Bang, jr. is a circuit card  that mounts to  a shunt and communicates with The Classic to track current in and out of the batteries and giving a reasonably accurate State Of Charge  for your battery bank.

It looks like this:

S.O.C. is not available without the WBjr.

Here is a link to the "WBjr":

http://midnitesolar.com/productPhoto.php?product_ID=519&productCatName=Charge%20Controllers%20-%20Classics&productCat_ID=21&sortOrder=9&act=pc
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Vic

Quote from: trigrong on February 11, 2016, 06:49:57 AM

Vic,  ReBulk Volts set to 8.   What settings should be there?

I have traction batteries 24 v 210 Ah with recuperation of hydrogen   (PzS) It  can be used up to 15-20 years.

Hi tri..,

You will want to experiment with the setting of ReBulk.   The setting will depend upon just what you want your system to do,   the loads on the system during the day,   the weather conditions,   and so on.

Furthermore,   an RB setting that works  for a given set of conditions,  may not work so well with another set of conditions.

In looking at your previous Posts,  trying to find out more about the details of your system,  it appears that you have 10 PV modules,  but did not find the specifications for those PVs,  a Classic Lite 200,  and,  that perhaps you still have Gel batteries.

When you have time,  could you please make a Signature,  describing your PV,  battery,  Inverter,  approximate location of the system,  weather Grid power is available,  and other system details,  so that those trying to help you might better be able to provide meaningful responses to questions you have,  without needing to always ask for additional information?

If your system is fairly well-balanced,  you might not need to use ReBulk.

It is my guess that you have limited battery capacity,  compared to the nighttime loads on the system,  so,  you are,  perhaps,  trying to begin your night with as much battery Capacity as possible.

But,  each charge cycle on a battery counts against the lifetime total number of charge cycles that a given battery can provide.   So,   you might want to carefully consider what you need your system to do for you,  and what changes and additions to your system you could make,  in order to accomplish  what you need from the system.

Start with setting RB to some voltage somewhat below your Float voltage,  and experiment from there.

Good Luck,   Thanks,    Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

zoneblue

Im not sure if something is up with your system or not, its hard to say from what you have said. Charge controllers are capable of a range of behavior (from wild to amazing) but when you dont know what the expectations are it does make it difficult for the user to know either way.

So lets as vic said go back a few steps. Lets have the full system spec. Lets make sure that the firmware is up to date and stable. Then that you understand how to program the classic correctly and ensure a full charge is occuring.

After all that then we can talk about rebulk, and such.

1. Firmware, the current production firmware is the most rock solid to date, and its recommneded you install it. The process and instructions for this are currently diverse and frankly bewildering. If you have trouble let us know. Its critical that you factory reset the controller after the update. Also check with us, if you dont know how to do that.

2. Configuration, without the WBJr, you will generally be best not using end amps. Pick an absorb time, based on your manufacturers recomendation, and your average overnite DOD, and check that its about right using SG (or  true end amps for AGM). If you have a WBJr (recomended), then EA is the way to go. You can tune the float transition very precisely.

3. SOC estimation. Without WBJr, the classic has no SOC estimation. How are you measureing SOC? Hopefully you understand that SOC is tricky to measure. SG is the only bullet proof method, everything else is a guess.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

trigrong

Guys,

thank you very much for your attention! I will follow your suggestions and will experiment.

I have two circutes in my house - one for low load like lights, internet, phones, notebooks  - it powered up by 600 W inverter and another circute for heavy loads like pumps, electro-instruments, welding, vacuum cleaner, washer, etc. which is powered by 6000W hybrid inverter.

Both inverters works in sleeping mode - gives power when load exists in the circute. At night, there is no appliences is on - so batteries resting.

The batteries is 24 Volts - PZs with hydrogen recuperation ad-ons. Those have resource of 1500 deep discharge cycles. Since I use those batteries, the Volts never gone below 23.5 Volts. If there is bad weather condition for couple days  I use diesel generator to charge the batteries.

The PV array conunts 10 panels 36.6V - 200 W - Usually it gets 160 Volts and up to 60 A.

My location is 44°36′9″N (44.602402),  34°7′34″E (34.126068) - it's Russia, Crimea

So far everything works fine, just there are some Classic 's options and behavior I don't really understand :)

I added this info to my signature.

Thank you all!