Silicon grease for electrical contact?

Started by sigp2101, February 26, 2016, 02:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigp2101

Why is recommended to apply silicon grease to communication jacks when silicon will act as dielectric?
It will eliminate conductivity.

Thanks!
Off grid system:
3 X 230W 36V 8A SolarWorld in series,
Classic 150,
36V BB - 225Ah 6x6V Trojan T-105 T2,
3000W psw Inverter,
Fridge 159KWh/Y, 30W led lights, laptop, TV.

Doug

You will still get a very solid metal to metal contact.
The silicone seals the contacts from dirt/moisture and slows corrosion which would interfere with the connection.
If it were conductive that would tend to short the connector.

-D

zoneblue

I dont know what it is about those rj11/rj45 jacks, but they do have a tendency to get a bit green looking on occasion. Over the years of doing various network installs, i always tried to use decent brand fittings that had fancy plating like berylium copper and such. But silicone grease should help keep the air away, and maybe the arcing (no air to plasmaerize), and mechanical damage (lube) that punctures the plating in the first place.

Here, strangely enough the easiest place to find Si grease is the plumbing/waterpump suppliers. (rubber o ring friendly lube)
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

CDN-VT

Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

russ_drinkwater

Ashamed to say I use a grease I made from olive oil and beeswax. Seems to be working well so far even in the extreme heat
and humidity events we have been having of late.
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

mike90045

Quote from: russ_drinkwater on February 27, 2016, 03:47:16 PM
Ashamed to say I use a grease I made from olive oil and beeswax. Seems to be working well so far even in the extreme heat

I use that for fire starter.  Seriously.   The olive oil WILL go rancid and get gummy and sticky.  Either will burn readily .
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

CDN-VT

Quote from: mike90045 on February 28, 2016, 03:45:30 PM
Quote from: russ_drinkwater on February 27, 2016, 03:47:16 PM

I use that for fire starter.  Seriously.   The olive oil WILL go rancid and get gummy and sticky.  Either will burn readily .

I agree with Mike &  I don't get it olive oil and beeswax !!
Im using Stablaint 22 on some pin connections .. olive oil and beeswax was the farthest from my mind. 
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.

BobWhite

Ive started using DeoxIT to clean and protect my connections, I only use super lube on the o rings of water tight connectors to help prevent damage and easier to put together. on connections that aren't water tight or proof such as battery post and may be subject to dampness I use DeoxIT and coat with a urethane sealer such as CRC

Walt
12-Lifeline AGM 8D's
10-Lifeline AGM GPL 31T
16- Diehard GC2
4-Classic 3-150 and 1-200
1-Classic Lite
2-BRATS
5wiz bang Jrs, , 2- Samlex-24Volt
5- 235 MX60s
10- Sharp 198
10 Solar world 345 XL Mono

russ_drinkwater

It was all I had at the time other than mineral based greases for the tractors :-[
What do you suggest, remembering I am in a different country.
A lot of the newer greases dry out and "crack" leaving open gaps.
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

CDN-VT

Quote from: BobWhite on February 29, 2016, 02:48:04 AM
Ive started using DeoxIT to clean and protect my connections, I only use super lube on the o rings of water tight connectors to help prevent damage and easier to put together. on connections that aren't water tight or proof such as battery post and may be subject to dampness I use DeoxIT and coat with a urethane sealer such as CRC

Walt
CRC makes a few different styles of products . I like no aerosol , to much overspray 

If you see Rubber Grease (I use PBR brand) that is a great lube for "o" rings etc.
like ky in a Toothpaste tube

VT

& russ , Go into any Automotive store & ask for a SDG = silicone dielectric grease. wash hands well after using it & keep away from eye's.
http://www.super-lube.com/files/pdfs/silicone_dielectric_grease_technical_bulletin.pdf

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/specialized-maintenance-repair/electrical-system-maintenance/permatex-dielectric-tune-up-grease-detail

I have been using this stuff in the .MIL    to date .Areo , Auto,Marine &Submarine all have used this , so it's not country dependent .
Vegiemite is over here as well.

VT

offgridQLD

Russ, if you like I can bring you some electrical  terminal grease for the phone jacks at Easter. I have  a few sachets laying around in the shed.

Auto parts stores in AU sell it Supercheap, Repco, Burstons any of them  . Just ask for Bulb grease. About 50 cents or $1 for a sachet but you use bugger all each time.

[/url]

I also have some battery  terminal grease from Germany designed for the Exide led acid cells. I forgot to give it to you when you picked up the batterys. I will bring that up to.

Kurt
Off grid system: 48v 16x400ah Calb lithium, Pv array one  NE facing  24 x 165w 3960w, Array two NW facing 21 x 200w 4200w total PV 8200w. Two x Classic 150,  Selectronic PS1 6000w inverter charger, Kubota J108 8kw diesel generator.

BobWhite

Quote from: CDN-VT on March 01, 2016, 01:20:10 AM
Quote from: BobWhite on February 29, 2016, 02:48:04 AM

Walt
CRC makes a few different styles of products . I like no aerosol , to much overspray 

If you see Rubber Grease (I use PBR brand) that is a great lube for "o" rings etc.
like ky in a Toothpaste tube

VT

& russ , Go into any Automotive store & ask for a SDG = silicone dielectric grease. wash hands well after using it & keep away from eye's.
http://www.super-lube.com/files/pdfs/silicone_dielectric_grease_technical_bulletin.pdf

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/specialized-maintenance-repair/electrical-system-maintenance/permatex-dielectric-tune-up-grease-detail

I have been using this stuff in the .MIL    to date .Areo , Auto,Marine &Submarine all have used this , so it's not country dependent .
Vegiemite is over here as well.

VT
VT, Thank you, We do use the permatex on costumers boats and most will praise it's easier and safer to apply in confined areas as crc you need a respirator do to overspray. IMHO, In the boats I find with the permatex we still get some green and not so great connections (maybe the one doing the job ??) and crc applied in several light coats I've never heard of a poor connection or the cables turning green. FWIW
Walt
12-Lifeline AGM 8D's
10-Lifeline AGM GPL 31T
16- Diehard GC2
4-Classic 3-150 and 1-200
1-Classic Lite
2-BRATS
5wiz bang Jrs, , 2- Samlex-24Volt
5- 235 MX60s
10- Sharp 198
10 Solar world 345 XL Mono

russ_drinkwater

I did have some pbr rubber grease for auto transmission assembly from years ago. Idk where to look now, lol.
Can order some bulb grease from super cheap online and get it posted.
Been trying to curb my online spending a lot lately, sigh :-[
Can get this easy "Thermal Compound Heatsink Dielectric Grease"
30gram tube for $5.00 plus a very small postage.

Resthome

Quote from: russ_drinkwater on March 01, 2016, 03:30:13 PM

You don't want this on electrical connector. It's a totally different animal. It is for mating heat sinks to devices. It's usually a white paste like material.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

CDN-VT

Quote from: russ_drinkwater on March 01, 2016, 03:30:13 PM
I did have some pbr rubber grease for auto transmission assembly from years ago. Idk where to look now, lol.
Can order some bulb grease from super cheap online and get it posted.
Been trying to curb my online spending a lot lately, sigh :-[

This is NOT A Dielectric style & will cause electrical transfer due to having metal in the mixture , It's a heat sink base to meld to metals for better heat transfer.

Also I would make sure the bulb gunk is not just Vaseline , that has hygroscopic properties (Absorbs water over time)  ,like brake fluid of Dot 4, 4B and lower ..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
& I agree Walt CRC in spray is fine , but I find in some installs the aerosol is messy . So is the CRC LPS 3 in liquid .
Each to what one is use to & trusts.   Olive oil and beeswax is a cleaning job now.