Magnum Inverter Revision Level

Started by data_engine, September 04, 2011, 11:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

data_engine

I have a Magnum MS4024 with an older revision level. Is there any way to upgrade the firmware without packing it up and shipping it off somewhere?

boB

The only way I know of to update the firmware without sending the whole inverter back, is to open it up and remove
the control board which is where the firmware resides.  That's the vertically oriented circuit board that plugs into
the bottom horizontal power PCB board.

You will first want to call Magnum to make sure they will still make this kind of swap.  They used to do this some.

Won't hurt to call them and ask, but you may also want to have the version number information from the RC50 remote.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

data_engine

Hey thanks for the info. I was hoping it would be easier. The only reason I asked is because I am totally off-grid at my cabin, and pulling out the inverter leaves me dead in the water there.

boB

Quote from: data_engine on September 04, 2011, 11:56:02 PM
Hey thanks for the info. I was hoping it would be easier. The only reason I asked is because I am totally off-grid at my cabin, and pulling out the inverter leaves me dead in the water there.

Maybe it's new enough that it doesn't need updating ??    That would be the best !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Halfcrazy

Why do you think it needs new firmware?
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

data_engine

I just thought it would be and advantage to upgrade to rev 5.4+ in the level 4. I was using 4 marine type batteries, and had to use the genset a lot. I recently upgraded to a new battery bank using 12 L16 DEKA 6v flooded cells at 24v.

Maybe the question is if there are any new battery maintenance options in the level 4 revisions that would extend the life of the battery bank? I am in the process of adding wind since I have a high ridgetop in eastern WV, and solar will follow.

I am off-grid, but I do have a lot of "non-traditional" loads with 3 cabins and families full time. Soon diesel fuel will be unavailable at any price.

Halfcrazy

I can not answer the specific question but most of Magnums upgrades have been in the remote. I suspect anything that would benefit you would be in the remote not the inverter. I would call Magnum tomorrow and ask them directly.

data_engine

OK, I will check with ME and see what they say. Speaking of windpower, might I get to see the clipper next month in Dallas?

Halfcrazy

Well I would like to say we should have sheet metal next week so yes you will BUT I have been saying that to long so for now I am going to say maybe not. Our Sheet Metal shop has still not started this project  ???