Local Ap shows "device unavailable"

Started by JerryB, March 19, 2016, 11:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryB

Hello Experts,

I have a dual Classic installation aboard my boat which has worked perfectly for several years. I use the local ap on a laptop to monitor the performance of the system. I have used both an older (Vista) laptop and a brand new Surface tablet (Win 10) to run the ap with no problems. Now suddenly I get a failure to connect to the Classics with an error message of "device unavailable" for both Classics on both computers. The Classics feed a Belkin N600 wireless router. I get the same results whether through the wireless (connection is solid) or if I hard wire the laptop to the router (RJ45). I have power cycled both the router and the Classics ad nauseum with no difference. I have done a factory-restore reset (VMM) on the Classics. I have tried static IP address (the configuration that previously worked) and tried DHCP with no success. When the local ap has the configuration settings deleted, it shows the IP address and port # that I have set the Classics to, but reports "unknown" and "device unavailable".  It seems as if there is a connection to the Classic since the local ap gets the IP address, but nothing else. Otherwise the Classic is operating correctly and the MNGP shows all the usual stuff. I did replace the backup battery which was shot.  Anyone have an idea of what is happening?

Resthome

Anytime you change the IP address on the Classic you will have to Power the Classic off and then back on.

It sounds like you have done that but what I am not sure is what order you are trying things. I would try setting one Classic to STATIC with a local IP address that is not being used by anything else on your network. (see below). I would also turn off the ENABLE WEB ACCESS on the Classic as that is for MYMidnite connections. Turn PV Breaker off and the BATT breaker off to Classic. Turn Classic BATT breaker on and wait 20 sec and then turn PV Breaker on. Clear the configurations in the LA and enter the STATIC address you just entered in the Classic as a STATIC IP on the LA.

If you have other devices (Phone, iPad) on your local network you need to block the Router from handing out the IP address you want to use as a STATIC IP address on the Classic. Usually the router has a function that will show what IP address have been handed out by DHCP to all your devices on the local network/

What firmware are the Classics at?
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

JerryB

Hello John,

Thanx for the fast reply. The firmware version is not the latest; I would guess about 1.5 years old, but it has always worked fine. The web access function is off and there are no other items connected to the router; it only serves the two Classics. I was surprised to see that a power cycle is needed after changing the IP address. I did save the new configuration and unplugged/re-plugged the RJ45 cable from the router and the LA seems to "get" the new IP address. However I will try that. I will also set up the LA to the new IP address, but I noticed that even if I don't, the ap will see the periodic "ping" from the Classic and reflect the IP address/port # that I entered. Is there anything magic about the port number? I use different ones for each Classic (e.g. 502 and 504) as set in the MISC. menu. I will also try new RJ45 cables although it seems that if I get the IP address back, the router must be communicating with the Classic in some fashion. Aaarggh!

Westbranch

Is there anything magic about the port number? I use different ones for each Classic (e.g. 502 and 504)

I believe this is part of your issue, AFAIK they all have to be 502

It should be eg 192.168.1.1   192.168.1.2  192.168.1.3   etc  or similar
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Resthome

The Port number should be the same in the Classic and the Local App and is associated with the IP Address which is different for each Classic.

Where are you seeing the IP address on the LA? Sounds like you have the AutoDetect checked on the LA configuration.Turn it off and make sure you have the correct IP and port number in the LA Config page. Delete all other entries and start with one Classic.

Do you see the LA Trying to Connect and then device not found?

Set the config page for one Classic to start with preferably the Master Classic

You page should look similar to this.

John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA