Connecting a Generator to a Classic

Started by cabinrob, March 25, 2016, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cabinrob

Quote from: mike90045 on March 29, 2016, 06:42:20 PM
Quote from: cabinrob on March 29, 2016, 09:32:04 AM......>> What am I missing ???

Let's just hope you are real lucky.
>> I was really really trying to avoid luck by discussing this on the forum.  Luck should have nothing to do with the solution.

If you don't know how RMS and a bridge rectifier works, and think that setting the controller to 110V min will solve things, you are going to have an expensive surprise.  Just a few little spikes from the generator and you are over 200VDC quickly.
>> I'm thinking I may understand rectifiers and RMS.  I guess that a safety check would be to put my diodes and capacitors on the generator output and then check voltages.  This can be done without the Classic connected.  This should show me the worst case (highest voltage) scenario.

The controller is expecting to be able to vary the loading on the Input (PV or Hydro) and have the input respond in a predicted way.   A generator with 2 or 3x the output capability of the controller will not respond as expected, and you are likely to cook something.
>>So obviously I don't understand how Manual MPP works.  From what I could tell - in that mode, the Classic doesn't try to match the source.  It just takes power when the input voltage goes above a minimum value.  I thought there were no sweeps of the input.
>>If anyone can point me to any documentation on how Manual MPP works - that would solve a lot of speculation.

>Even if there were a few cycles that did get to a high voltage, putting a resistor across the caps would solve this
  That is a lesson I learned in high school, on the classroom budget.  V x A = Watts. 
>>Sorry, but I don't understand that answer.

So, anyway, fire it up and tell all us naysayers how it worked.
>> Yes, I do hope to experiment with this.  Hopefully, somewhere, somehow I will get some real technical info on the operation/characteristics  of the Classic.  Just my take, but there seems to be way to much speculation and too little data.
>> Yes, I'm going to get flamed for my attitude - hopefully it won't end up with the Classic doing the same...... :-)

BobWhite

Posted by: cabinrob
« on: Today at 07:20:50 PM »
>> Yes, I'm going to get flamed for my attitude - hopefully it won't end up with the Classic doing the same...... :-)

I don't think you need to be flamed, (MAYBE) the information is there to do what you need but not enough information that will flame a CC if you not sure of what your doing. That's just a thought on my behalf as I have seen to many try placing blame for what they thought was said, usually a mind set. I don't believe anyone here wants you to flame a classic. From what I've seen here is if you have the basic knowledge to perform the task than the technical information will be given. JMHO

Walt
12-Lifeline AGM 8D's
10-Lifeline AGM GPL 31T
16- Diehard GC2
4-Classic 3-150 and 1-200
1-Classic Lite
2-BRATS
5wiz bang Jrs, , 2- Samlex-24Volt
5- 235 MX60s
10- Sharp 198
10 Solar world 345 XL Mono

CoinHead

So guys I'm dying to know how it turned out? Did it work?  I'm trying to pull 240 volts off of a Prius high voltage battery through the MidNite to keep my 48v house batteries at float through the night.  So I ended up here looking for answers.  I'm searching for in depth descriptions of how the different modes actually function.  Started a thread about it elsewhere

australsolarier

there are some people, i mean only some, when you tell them "don't do it" or "it can't be done" , they take this as a challenge and spend a lot of time thinking or even trying to do it.
and then, after a while you hear nothing more about it. ( they are either too embarrassed to talk about their misadventure or trying to do something else that can't be done)

boB

Then again...   Some do it and it works just fine !

I think you just REALLY have to know what you're doing  to make it work good.

Plus a wee bit of luck.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me