Firmware questions.... concerns...

Started by alyaz, April 16, 2016, 09:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alyaz

I am quite sure this has been mentioned before so I apologize.  (I did do a search and nothing jumped out at me).

When will firmware updates be available using Macs?  Although I did borrow a PC and successfully load a firmware update to a Classic and update for the display on the neighbours Classic 200, I did find it daunting.  So much so, that I know I should update the firmware on my two Classics, but because they are working fine, I dare not attempt it.

So, guess my question(s) is,:
- will we be able to use our Macs at some point to update our firmware;
- why does the updating process have to be so laborious; and
- would it be feasible (if available) to obtain the latest firmware update on a disc and then use that to update the firmware, without all the steps?

:-)
3.3 kW solar. (1.5 kW Helios - MN Classic 150 CC; .8 kW CSun - MN Classic 150 CC; 1 kW Sharp - MN  Classic 250 CC); Magnum PAE-4024 Inverter, AGS, ARC, BMK. Whizbang Jr., Midnite Solar battery monitor, 5 Midnite SPD’s. 24V Rolls 4KS21P - 1105 a/hr FLA.  10 kW Perkins Diesel.

zoneblue

The process for windows 8 in particular is particularly  daunting, and thats why they developed the new windows 10 updater which is a lot easier. As for mac i dont know, i dont think theyve ever supported it directly, but there is a linux based updater floating around that might work under mac? Dunno anything about it.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

Resthome

Roy claims they now have someone looking at a Mac updater. The problem was they didn't have any Macs at Midnite.

I wouldn't hold my breath as they seem to be overloaded working on new invertors and other projects.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

Resthome

Quote from: alyaz on April 16, 2016, 09:52:31 PM

- would it be feasible (if available) to obtain the latest firmware update on a disc and then use that to update the firmware, without all the steps?

Short answer is No..  It isn't a problem to download the firmware. It's getting all the various OS to make a USB to serial connections with ancient third party drivers.  And the MS driver does seem to be any better at it. You only have to get the driver installed once. I've had good luck with Windows 7 and Win 8.1 and no luck with Win10. A dedicated cheap laptop just for this seem to be the best solution. You can still buy some cheap laptops with Win7.

BTW there seem to be little to no progress on a workable Win10 solution at least none that we have seen here lately. The beta Win10 has left some reporting that the MNGP does not work after being updated with the Win10 beta updater.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000

TomW

Quote from: alyaz on April 16, 2016, 09:52:31 PM

- will we be able to use our Macs at some point to update our firmware;
- why does the updating process have to be so laborious; and

I have suggested awhile back that they release a CD / DVD or USB image  with a bootable Linux install that has all the essentials on it. Boot from CD / DVD / USB stick and fire off an automatic installer.

Customer writes the image to a disk / thumb drive, boots it and Bobs your uncle.

With lots of Macs using Intel processors it should be somewhat cross platform capable.

It really is not that hard to do an upgrade from Linux. Typically MickeySoft breaks stuff with every new release, especially stuff that needs drivers for ports, etc.

I never really had issues updating with Linux and the script they released some time ago.

Just foaming at the mouth over silliness with operating systems that break stuff.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Resthome

Tom..

Great idea if they could provide a ISO file for downloading that you could create a CD with. Don't know if it would work on MAC platform or if you would have to have separate image file for Win and Mac.
John

Westbranch

Tom, it doesn't have to be just Linux, same could be done with MicroSlop...  just have to set PC to boot off USB drive before you reboot, then change it back  when done...

Another option for MS is to buy an used laptop with XP and don't do any updates if short on memory, like my little ASUS has..... >:(  updates filled it completely   :o  >:(
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

RossW

Quote from: Westbranch on April 17, 2016, 02:01:56 PM
Another option for MS is to buy an used laptop with XP

Most of us who don't have windoze choose not to have it for a reason.
OS/X is hardly a "bit player" any more, it's every bit as mainstream as windoze, except it actually works.
Being basically FreeBSD under the hood, it's a rock-solid platform. It does serial quite well, and there are plenty of ethernet-to-serial and usb-to-serial adapters that can be used to get to serial, if required.

For that matter, why can't the classic update over ethernet? It has an IP stack, surely we can update over it? If not, why not, and how about fixing it so we can? Then, use tftp or whatever - from virtually any environment is available, without having to mess about with cables that are exactly so many inches long (no more, no less), moving horrible outdated bits of hardware out to the battery room where they can be precariously balanced on a cable drum, while we attempt an update (facing mecca, of course).

So many bright ideas at midnight, yet such a basic thing as "updating" lets the whole side down....

Get with it guys! Robin? Bob? Whoever?? :)
3600W on 6 tracking arrays.
7200W on 2 fixed array.
Midnite Classic 150
Outback Flexmax FM80
16 x LiFePO4 600AH cells
16 x LiFePO4 300AH cells
Selectronics SP-PRO 481 5kW inverter
Fronius 6kW AC coupled inverter
Home-brew 4-cyl propane powered 14kVa genset
2kW wind turbine

Resthome

I think at one time boB said the Classic could be updated over Ethernet but the MNGP could not. I could be wrong wouldn't be the first time.  ::)
John

atop8918

I originally had firmware update over IP working in the early days. It got dropped though due to other priorities and never got fixed back in. It was pulled ot a while ago which was a pity.

zoneblue

Especially now that the network stack works good !
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

Halfcrazy

Well maybe when Andrew is done with the task of making it talk we can work on making it possible to upgrade  8)
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

alyaz

3.3 kW solar. (1.5 kW Helios - MN Classic 150 CC; .8 kW CSun - MN Classic 150 CC; 1 kW Sharp - MN  Classic 250 CC); Magnum PAE-4024 Inverter, AGS, ARC, BMK. Whizbang Jr., Midnite Solar battery monitor, 5 Midnite SPD’s. 24V Rolls 4KS21P - 1105 a/hr FLA.  10 kW Perkins Diesel.