Venting Batteries

Started by plongson, September 15, 2011, 05:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plongson

I'm gonna have 16 L-16's in a 1500 sq/ft garage, sitting on a short stand I fabricated and had powder coated. I was originally told that I would not need to specifically vent the batteries outside because of the size of the garage and two big roll up doors. It is however pretty tight to avoid winter drafts.

What's the thoughts on venting this battery bank? Will I be ok or ?? Venting might prove to be a challenge and would include fabricating a hood and ducting out the wall.

What are you folks doing??
10-Astronergy 235 watt panels
Fixed 180° south face-No tracker
Midnite Solar Classic MPPT Charge Controller 250V
Mini-Magnum MS4448PAE Power Center
Battery Bank: Fortress E-Vault MAX 18.5kW Lithium
Kubota SQ1200 21kW diesel genset
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

Volvo Farmer

Mine are in an insulated plywood box, with vents low and in front and a 2" vent pipe high and out the back to the outdoors. Convection only, no fans.

Vic

The battery banks here are in plywood boxes,  like VF's.  Inlet low outlet high,  venting by convection outside.

Hydrogen is very light,  and could rise to the peak of the attic (let's say),  and is explosive in very low concentrations in air (on the order of 5-6% H in air).  The stand is a nice idea,  but,  personally,  I'd like to see a more positive venting scheme.  There are corrosive vapors as well,  which really should be transported away from the interior of a structure,  as well.

If your power system will be inspected,  there may be some venting issues called for in order to get is signed-off.

JMHO  Good Luck,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!