Beaglebone Black battery project

Started by ClassicCrazy, April 29, 2016, 11:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicCrazy

Just sharing the following from a discussion  in a different thread that uses Beaglebone Black
Larry 

karrak

Newby
        View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Minimum battery charge current for voltage regulation
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 11:32:24 AM »

The Controller is a patchwork of different PCBs

The control PCB is a general purpose microcontroller board that I designed ages ago based on an Freescale 68HC12  microprocontroller

The power circuitry is on a single sided PCB that I made up specially. The power electronics is slightly unusual in that I have a separate MPPT circuit for each solar panel. Another probably unusual feature is a 4 pole relay that connects the solar panels to the FETs. This is there as a safety mechanism in case of a blown FET or other fault. It also provide some lightning protection as it is NO at night.

Using the Wikipedia entry for MPPT definitions, the algorithm i have used is perturb and observe. It works well.

I did design and write the code. The software is written in assembler and Forth and runs under a multitasking Forth kernel. One of the tasks is a Forth interpreter connected to a serial port.

Another project I have designed and made and runs on the BBB is a Battery Monitoring System for LFP batteries that is written in Python and PHP. It is an opensource project here. https://github.com/simat/BatteryMonitor

Simon
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable