Local App software

Started by Halfcrazy, September 22, 2011, 06:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfcrazy

The Local Application software is now available to everyone. See Andrews post below for links to the software and the manual. Let us know what you think and if there is any odd behavior.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

atop8918

Okay, it's ready to go.

Sorry everyone for the delay. There will be updates moving forward. Please feel free to post all your comments in this thread.

Software
http://mymidnite.com/?q=node/7

Manual
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31975941/Local%20App%20manual.pdf

Westbranch

H/C, what is the minimum Operating System needed to run this app?
thanks,
ej
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

dannyb223

:-X I downloaded the first version and it worked awesome!!!

I will load the " real Version " lol when I get home and see how it works

Hope you can have a version to run on macs so I don't have to run out to the gen room to look at it.   :P
( my wife already thinks I have a mistress out in the shed  ;D )

I did set up using VNC so I can log into my laptop at home and see how the system is working. Keeps it secure over the internet until mymidnite is up and running.

Will be setting up the other 2 Classics this weekend on line so I can see all the units working, ( solar, wind and Lister )

Nice to have a software that works very well to see how the system is when I am not home.

You guys are doing a excellent job .... Keep up the great work.

Cheers
Danny

More Power one watt and a time

Halfcrazy

Danny this app does run on a Mac. I cant help you with the Wife I do understand the want to set in the shed and watch I have my Lister Clone running into a Classic now although it is no where as elegant a set up as yours.

dannyb223

Glad to hear you got your Lister up and running. How is it working?

I did load the new version and it does work on my mac as well. ( but I am still spending time in the shed  ;D  lol )

I noticed the "pre-release version" I had loaded, automatically updated when the new version was available, nice !!
More Power one watt and a time

dapdan

Midnite,

I am having some issues. For the past 24hrs I have been unable to connect with my two classics. I have reset the router, the switch and the computer to no avail. In the status panel it says synchronizing and does not go any further. All of the indicator diodes on the switch and router are on. I will try resetting the controller and see what that does.

Cheers...
Damani

dapdan

Ok, I reset both classic and it has synchronised. So problem solved. No worries.

Cheers...
Damani

Halfcrazy

Yes this is a known bug and it is in the Classic. The Classic will lose connection to the router and requires a reboot. Andrew is working on it as we speak. It only seems to happen on a very limited number of networks though. Can you give us some specs on the network like Router make and model and how many devices ar on the network etc?

Ryan

dapdan

1/2,

Model number of router:

Siemens gigaset SE587 wlan dsl

I current have 2 Computers, 2 Classics and one doogle router on my network.

Anymore info required just let me know.

Cheers...
Damani

Gyroman

Can I Hook directly to the cassic and run the software

Tinman

I can't connect. Using a Cadlepoint MBR 1000 as follows:

No WAN only using as LAN router. User login requirements are disabled so it is just a connect without prompts.

Router is 192.168.10.1
Mask: 255.255.255.0

Classic 150 was set as static: 192.168.10.100
Gateway: 192.168.10.1
DNS: 192.168.10.1

Also tried as DHCP since I reserved the address for the classic. Under DHCP address shows the same.

In the local app I get: "Reading..." and in smaller letters to the right "Connection Closed"

Network cable tests good.
Other devices can connect to router.
I reset Classic - No Joy.

I configured port forwarding to insure port 502 is open. No Joy

Rebooted router- nothing

Deselected auto detect Classics - nothing.

Shut down and restarted everything. - Nothing.

I've now tried another router - nothing except the time it took to display "Connection Closed" took longer. I can see tx and rx data stats in the router for the Lan port the Classic is connected to.

There doesn't appear to be a way to verify what IP address the Classic really has. The menu is a configuration item' not one that shows the configuration summary unless I'm not seeing it. That would sure help since you could see if the Classic was getting an IP address and loading it. While routers will show the DHCP leases, if one doesn't exist it could be because the Classic isn't releasing an address and accepting a new lease.

Okay UPDATE:

Finally got an IP address via DHCP. For some reason the Classic will not get an IP from that router. JFYI, these are very popular 3/4G Routers. Hint hint.

The Classic got the IP:

The Local App still cannot find nor display anything from the Classic. So I rebooted everything including the Classic (last) and nothing.

I then uninstalled and reinstalled the Local App. Zilch.

And now a comment. I'm not sure why the ethernet connections on the board are placed in such a way that it takes a miracle of tool fabrication to change the cables but really. Behind the ethernet connection are jumpers, tiny, small and easily dislodged. Unless you uninstall the Classic and rip it out, getting the ethernet cables (and temp sensor cable) out is nearly impossible. Some of us do not have huge spaces to work with and in this case when you are changing cables to test...so pleeeease.

I'm going to try 2 or 3 different computers now since I have access to them. Hopefully something will work. The one I tried first is a Windows 7 machine. I also tried running the Local app as admin and in compatibility mode, no workie.

Ah, before I go deeper, tried the various compatibility modes from Win2000 all the way through Vista SP2. Nope. Windows 7 does report this as an incompatile application though. Often that means very little but since it isn't working...

Help.

Tinman

Quote from: Gyroman on October 28, 2011, 09:36:35 PM
Can I Hook directly to the cassic and run the software

There is no reason why not. there would be a sample configuration:

PC side:

IP 192.168.0.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway is not needed. DNS is not needed unless Midnight is resolving names (doesn't appear so)

Classic:

IP 192.168.0.2
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

IMPORTANT: You need to use a cross-over cable, not a regular one. Since you don't have a router or switch in between your devices, the cross-over cable is a must. While you can make them up, its just easier to buy one, they come in handy.

Halfcrazy

Quote from: Tinman on October 29, 2011, 05:34:45 PM
I can't connect. Using a Cadlepoint MBR 1000 as follows:

No WAN only using as LAN router. User login requirements are disabled so it is just a connect without prompts.

Router is 192.168.10.1

Classic 150 was set as static: 192.168.10.100
Gateway: 192.168.10.1
DNS: 192.168.10.1

Also tried as DHCP since I reserved the address for the classic. Under DHCP address shows the same.

In the local app I get: "Reading..." and in smaller letters to the right "Connection Closed"

Network cable tests good.
Other devices can connect to router.
I reset Classic - No Joy.

I configured port forwarding to insure port 502 is open. No Joy

Rebooted router- nothing

Deselected auto detect Classics - nothing.

Shut down and restarted everything. - Nothing.

I've now tried another router - nothing except the time it took to display "Connection Closed" took longer. I can see tx and rx data stats in the router for the Lan port the Classic is connected to.

There doesn't appear to be a way to verify what IP address the Classic really has. The menu is a configuration item' not one that shows the configuration summary unless I'm not seeing it. That would sure help since you could see if the Classic was getting an IP address and loading it. While routers will show the DHCP leases, if one doesn't exist it could be because the Classic isn't releasing an address and accepting a new lease.

Okay UPDATE:

Finally got an IP address via DHCP. For some reason the Classic will not get an IP from that router. JFYI, these are very popular 3/4G Routers. Hint hint.

The Classic got the IP:

The Local App still cannot find nor display anything from the Classic. So I rebooted everything including the Classic (last) and nothing.

I then uninstalled and reinstalled the Local App. Zilch.

And now a comment. I'm not sure why the ethernet connections on the board are placed in such a way that it takes a miracle of tool fabrication to change the cables but really. Behind the ethernet connection are jumpers, tiny, small and easily dislodged. Unless you uninstall the Classic and rip it out, getting the ethernet cables (and temp sensor cable) out is nearly impossible. Some of us do not have huge spaces to work with and in this case when you are changing cables to test...so pleeeease.

I'm going to try 2 or 3 different computers now since I have access to them. Hopefully something will work. The one I tried first is a Windows 7 machine. I also tried running the Local app as admin and in compatibility mode, no workie.

Ah, before I go deeper, tried the various compatibility modes from Win2000 all the way through Vista SP2. Nope. Windows 7 does report this as an incompatile application though. Often that means very little but since it isn't working...

Help.

TinMan
One thing to look at is how old is the firmware? Try going into the Local application and adding the Classics IP address manually and add port 3900. Or just download the latest firmware of our website.

Port forwarding and what not should not matter if you are on the local area network with the Classic.

Ryan

boB

Quote from: Tinman on October 29, 2011, 05:34:45 PM
And now a comment. I'm not sure why the ethernet connections on the board are placed in such a way that it takes a miracle of tool fabrication to change the cables but really. Behind the ethernet connection are jumpers, tiny, small and easily dislodged. Unless you uninstall the Classic and rip it out, getting the ethernet cables (and temp sensor cable) out is nearly impossible. Some of us do not have huge spaces to work with so pleeeease.

Help.

I am surprised you are having so much trouble here but that may be a router that just has some weird way about its protocol.

So, the local app can't see the Classic on your local intranet ?     I see you are pretty knowledgeable about IT stuff and still having  problems so it may very well be an incompatibility with the router.    Looks like you have made a bit of progress though.

I have connected a Classic directly with a PC Ethernet port so I know that  it ~can~ work...  It might be like you say, a crossover cable
problem, depending on the computers' ability to swap the RX-TX lines.  I thought that most newer computers could do this but
I'm not sure ?

About that upside down Ethernet jack....  Sorry about that.  I totally agree !  We are getting different jacks that will eventually
be used that have the the tab on the top side.   What I do to get the cable out though is to use a small screwdriver to pry the tab up
on the bottom.  In the office here, I just break the tab off since I'm always plugging and unplugging it.

Sorry about the problems with that, but emails have been sent and help should hopefully on the way soon.  Check back in a little bit or possibly tomorrow and we'll see if we can't shed some light on this on this forum.

Thanks,
boB

PS....  I see Ryan mentioned that port 3900 thing...  The Classic firmware did used to be port 3900 instead of 502.  The latest firmware is on port 502 though.   3900 is a non standard modbus over IP port of course.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me