Cables too big for bus bars/breakers

Started by pablo, June 04, 2016, 08:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pablo

Hi all,

Thank you for reading.  I have a bunch of solar power equipment that I purchased, but my solar guy bailed on me so I am DIYing.  I have installed small systems in the past, but generally I would call myself a beginner/intermediate in terms of knowledge. 

I have 4/0 cable running from my array to the house.  How do I connect this cable to my MNPV6-250?   I believe the largest bus bar connection is 1/0.  I am not finding specs for the output lug on the the DIN rail, but it looks about 1/0 as well.    I will need electrical cable reducers on both ends of my cable run, for both the combiner box connections and the inverter connections.   Ideas?
thank you
Off grid 12 volts, 2 Trojan L16RE batts, Samlex 2K inverter, Xantrex 40 Amp charger, Outback Flexmax 60 Amp MPPT charge controller, 2 Solar World 285 W panels, Honda 1000 Watt genny.

ClassicCrazy

That is very large cable - what voltage and current are you running from your solar array ? How many panels do you have ?

Usually these days a design would be to run panels in series to get higher voltage to reduce that wire size. Then the MPPT controller will drop the voltage down to match the battery voltage.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

pablo

It sure is big and bulky and cumbersome, but it was already in place and buried in the ground from a former low voltage (12 volt) system with a long run...

So I elected to use it to save time and money, both of which are in short supply  :P  I have two Solar World 285 Watt, 31 Volt panels and a Outback flexmax60 MPTT controller.  The cable is aluminum so I guess that added to the size. 

Off grid 12 volts, 2 Trojan L16RE batts, Samlex 2K inverter, Xantrex 40 Amp charger, Outback Flexmax 60 Amp MPPT charge controller, 2 Solar World 285 W panels, Honda 1000 Watt genny.

CDN-VT

No worries Is the cable in conduit & pictures always help explain..
So for Voltage drop they used hard strand commercial cable  , I understand .
So tell us your everything of distance & everything , spend time to explain everything , we have Very smart folks here & they will always help ! They helped me , So Seee !!

I need help ;)

VT  & good folks here , just explain ALL makes it so much easier than pulling teeth
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

ClassicCrazy

How about something like this for 4/0 to smaller cable ? Use antioxidant on the aluminum cable connection and torque well and recheck later.  This one says only 2/0 but maybe a larger one is available.
http://www.galco.com/buy/Marathon-Special-Products/1323572?source=googleshopping&gclid=Cj0KEQjw-Mm6BRDTpaLgj6K04KsBEiQA5f20E6oQ3vJYgSkzC2jT6kyvwRwztNTus9IBI8V_jWyJersaAqRY8P8HAQ

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

TomW

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on June 04, 2016, 10:48:16 PM
How about something like this for 4/0 to smaller cable ? Use antioxidant on the aluminum cable connection and torque well and recheck later.  This one says only 2/0 but maybe a larger one is available.
http://www.galco.com/buy/Marathon-Special-Products/1323572?source=googleshopping&gclid=Cj0KEQjw-Mm6BRDTpaLgj6K04KsBEiQA5f20E6oQ3vJYgSkzC2jT6kyvwRwztNTus9IBI8V_jWyJersaAqRY8P8HAQ

Larry

I have used those and they come in literally huge sizes. Very easy to mount and use.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

pablo

Thanks for the suggestions!   What about something like this?

It's a compression fitting - tin plated copper.  Goes from 4/0 to #2, but it says for stranded wire.  My wire is solid.  I wonder if that would make a difference?   Can I mix AL with CU?

The cable is not in conduit - direct burial. 

I'm working on the design for putting my system together.  The best resources I have found for how to wire it up are the user manuals for the combiner box and the charge controller.  I tried to find some solar power books to help, but they all get very abstract when it comes to wiring...  When I have my design done, I will post and ask for a review.

Westbranch

KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

pablo

I guess part of my concern with using reducers is resistance.  In going from 4/0 to say 4 AWG, what happens to the current?  What is the voltage drop?  Will heat be a problem?  Doesn't this type of connection create some type of electrical bottle-neck? 

ClassicCrazy

Since your  main wire is oversized as long as the connnector or reducer has good connections you shouldn't have any resistance problems if you size the smaller wire going to your combiner at least for the minimum called for in specs.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Vic

Quote from: pablo on June 05, 2016, 12:46:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!   What about something like this?

It's a compression fitting - tin plated copper.  Goes from 4/0 to #2, but it says for stranded wire.  My wire is solid.  I wonder if that would make a difference?   Can I mix AL with CU?

The cable is not in conduit - direct burial. 

Hi pablo,

OK,  #4/0 AWG cable IS HUGE.   Running this huge cable that is SOLID in conduit is extremely difficult,  and therefore quite uncommon,  in my experience.

Are you absolutely certain that this cable is 4/0 and solid ??  Not to insult you,  but this seems beyond an extreme combination.

The Box Lugs in those terminal blocks are almost always used with stranded cable.  Often the range of conductor size is limited for the use of solid conductors.

FWIW,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

pablo

Thanks for checking Vic!  Gosh, I feel like an idiot now.  I just went out and double checked and it is 1/0.  My AWOL solar guy had wanted me to use 4/0 for battery to inverter connection and I must have switched oughts in my poor dilapidated brain. 

So that should make things easier.   Thanks again for taking the risk of insulting me. 

pablo

I cut off a chunk of the 1/0 (by the way a ratcheted pipe cutter works great for this) and tested it in my combiner box.  It fits into the bus bars and the rail lug, but not into the breaker switch. 

Why not just shave down the diameter of the aluminum at the end of the cable to make it fit?  wouldn't that be better for electrical flow than using an adaptor and smaller wire? 

TomW

Quote from: pablo on June 05, 2016, 03:38:58 PM
Why not just shave down the diameter of the aluminum at the end of the cable to make it fit?  wouldn't that be better for electrical flow than using an adaptor and smaller wire?

Not sure of the long term effects of just lopping off some of the diameter but it should not affect resistance / voltage drop.

wire resistance is rated by diameter and length so a stubby reduction will not be an issue and it seems certainly less than a lug, terminal block, etc.

Be careful not to nick solid wire it can break at a nick easily.

If I did this I would use a dremel tool or somesuch to carefully shave off diameter all around with a rounded shoulder between full size and reduced end (Not square)

Just from here.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Vic

Quote from: pablo on June 05, 2016, 03:20:31 PM
   ...     I just went out and double checked and it is 1/0.  So that should make things easier   ...

Thanks pablo,  for checking.    1/0 solid should be easier to handle than  4/0.

Reducing the diameter may be OK,   but,  as Tom mentioned,  be careful to not nick the conductor.

This solid,  large cable  is very stiff,  as you know.  This can cause the cable to put forces on the connection points,  that are not normal.   These unusual forces could possibly create stresses or issues for the busbar,  or circuit breaker.  Not to make too big a deal about this.   Just try to dress this large cable,   trying so that it will relax  just where it needs to be  --  this is more difficult to do with stiff,  large diameter cable.  The busbar for your Combiner is probably the most sensitive to forces applied to the  buss and the breakers by very stiff cable.  This could be the most difficult place to get the 1/0 cable dressed,  so that it rests in the correct place for its cable connector.

Good Luck,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!