I felt ripped off!

Started by russ_drinkwater, June 05, 2016, 05:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

russ_drinkwater

Finally got around to changing my son's outback reg for his classic lite.
Went to start it up.
And oops no visual display!
Wish I had known about that before I parted with the cash for the unit.
Could not get the front cover off to look at toothpick settings.
Came home and pulled a front cover off my 2nd classic with the display face and went back over to the other property.
15 mins later had the cover on and the reg setup and working like a charm.
What does a display lcd front cost?
Just me but the front of the lite ummmmmmmmmmmmm, sucks!
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

BobWhite

Russ you supersize me  :o , I would have thought you would now what you were getting  ::)
You can see the MNGP here http://www.midnitesolar.com/productPhoto.php?product_ID=270&productCatName=Charge%20Controllers%20-%20Classics&productCat_ID=21&sortOrder=12&act=pc
I do have a lite and the cover over the dip switches is tight but will come off with care and patience  :D JMHO

Walt
12-Lifeline AGM 8D's
10-Lifeline AGM GPL 31T
16- Diehard GC2
4-Classic 3-150 and 1-200
1-Classic Lite
2-BRATS
5wiz bang Jrs, , 2- Samlex-24Volt
5- 235 MX60s
10- Sharp 198
10 Solar world 345 XL Mono

binkino

Haha lite has no display
Why not bought a Classig with MNGP here in the 'garage sale'? Much cheaper then a lite in stores
You can do most settings by the switches. Remove cover, take a flat screwdriver if its tight fit
Or connect your laptop via lan to it, install adope :P air and the midnite app and do all settings in detail
The app is not perfect and you can get mad with it. But it does its job.
PV-OUTPUT: http://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=38617
Classic Lite 200 + Classic 200 + Easun ISolar-SMX-II-5.6KW + 12x240Wp + 12x255Wp + 2x10kWh LFP
http://a68k.de/Solar/Monitor_LC2.php

russ_drinkwater

I bought the cover home and eventually got the plastic front off with 2 screwdrivers.
Have got the push switches set to what we require.
But it still sucks for the money that was paid as there is no means to check on what is happening.
Apps and laptop will not cut it as the boy does not use these as he has a brain injury.
I will always caution people not to buy a lite and be 100% certain what they are being offered is what they want!
Even the old plasmatronics regs we got rid of have a far better lcd display.
Sorry I am still steaming after yesterday!
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

Vic

Hi Russ,

Too bad that you are not that happy with the Lite,    but,  that is what the Lite IS  -- a Standard Classic  WITHOUT the MNGP LCD/control panel,  and also without Arc Fault detection.

Here is a Comparison Chart:
http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/Classic-Lite-SL-Chart.pdf

The Lite can make a lot of sense in systems wit two or more Classics,  as the MNGP  can be used to monitor and set each Classic on the system.

Have grown up with Classics from about 5.5 years ago,  so have watched the evolution of the Classic.
FWIW,    Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

BobWhite

Quote from: russ_drinkwater on June 05, 2016, 04:24:51 PM
I bought the cover home and eventually got the plastic front off with 2 screwdrivers.
Have got the push switches set to what we require.
But it still sucks for the money that was paid as there is no means to check on what is happening.
Apps and laptop will not cut it as the boy does not use these as he has a brain injury.
I will always caution people not to buy a lite and be 100% certain what they are being offered is what they want!
Even the old plasmatronics regs we got rid of have a far better lcd display.
Sorry I am still steaming after yesterday!

Russ, I also bought a lite as my first classic being a cheap skate at the time and not familiar with what i needed! I am happy with the lite but probably wouldn't be if that was the point I was finished with a solar set up or system. I'm just suggesting that you not be sore but realize were you may have gone wrong and learn by it. From what I'm seeing you can set your son up with a classic that he can use and keep as you have a spare if my memory is correct, if that's not enough sanctification let me know and we may work something out!

Walt
12-Lifeline AGM 8D's
10-Lifeline AGM GPL 31T
16- Diehard GC2
4-Classic 3-150 and 1-200
1-Classic Lite
2-BRATS
5wiz bang Jrs, , 2- Samlex-24Volt
5- 235 MX60s
10- Sharp 198
10 Solar world 345 XL Mono

binkino

Come on ... be fair!
You can not blame Midnite for your failure.
You get what you have ordered.

You also order your new car without reading about it?
And if you forget to order with an AC, its the fault of the car manufacturer?

There are more then only the Classic lite on the market and the Classic exists in different types.  You can not project your accident to the manufacturer or the forum.

Blame the seller or your choice, not midnite or the forum.

So why don't you contact the seller and ask for the MNGP or change the Classic?
You can't tell us, that the Classic is not woth its money?!

Just there is nothing on the market that "shines like gold and is gold" - but with a long distance to other devices on the market, you bought the right charger! It is worth every single cent!

When i bought my first Classic, it was also a "lite"
Why? I have a dealer that was very good advicing to me and I really did not need the display and so I safed a lot of money.
I would guess, most Classic are installed in a hidden place and maintained remotely.
Now I have a 2nd Classic of a good deal and it is with the MNGP.
The MNGP is really a nice thing, usefull for a quick view and check. But furthermore I work with the app.
And how often do you have to configure things? Thats done once.

I apologize for my question, as I can't imagine about your son's problem.
But a MNGP would be no problem for him?
Classic Lite 200 + Classic 200 + Easun ISolar-SMX-II-5.6KW + 12x240Wp + 12x255Wp + 2x10kWh LFP

BioPower

When I was about to order a second Classic I was considering the Lite, then I found that on Ebay from USA sellers the difference was less then $50. I was just about to order a standard classic 150 then I spotted the refurbished classics in the Midnite garage sale for even less with 5 year warranty, unfortunately they seem to have all sold now.

The lite will do they same job, now I have mine set up on my network I rarely look at them physically but use the software instead.
9.5 KW Solar Panels, 2 Midnite Classic 150, 8 KW self-built 8 KW Inverter,  5KW AC coupled grid tie Inverter, Exide 775AH @C5 48V forklift battery

Resthome

The big problem with the Lite is it does not keep the clock setting when it is powered off. The Midnite comparison chart does not call that lacking feature out and it should. The MNGP has the battery to sustain the clock in the MNGP without Classic power and syncs it's clock with the Classic clock
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

CDN-VT

I see NO wrong , But poor Russ Misjudged or !!!! , Lights a in my mind are used in Follow me  or real cheep want-a-bees  , squat else. Russ READ DEEP . I have 5 lights in follow me , one master & now they will ALL have filtered clean forced air for cooling due to I work with Sparks,dust ,chems ,flying bug's etc &  ..  !
I figured out a clean forced or positive air for clean cooling .
VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

binkino

Quote from: Resthome on June 05, 2016, 10:34:35 PM
The big problem with the Lite is it does not keep the clock setting when it is powered off. The Midnite comparison chart does not call that lacking feature out and it should. The MNGP has the battery to sustain the clock in the MNGP without Classic power and syncs it's clock with the Classic clock
True, but you only have to shutdown it all for maintenance, that happens not to often.
And I had the same experience again and again, but I am angry for myself about this not to check and set the clock immediately via the app after the power cycle
True, it would be better, if it has a RTC. Let the system be installed remote and "something happens" then your stored datas are corrupt.

Resthome

Quote from: binkino on June 06, 2016, 06:33:31 AM
Quote from: Resthome on June 05, 2016, 10:34:35 PM
True, but you only have to shutdown it all for maintenance, that happens not to often.
And I had the same experience again and again, but I am angry for myself about this not to check and set the clock immediately via the app after the power cycle
True, it would be better, if it has a RTC. Let the system be installed remote and "something happens" then your stored datas are corrupt.

My point was that it is not called out in the comparison charts and it should be.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

binkino

Quote from: Resthome on June 06, 2016, 09:01:50 AM
My point was that it is not called out in the comparison charts and it should be.

sure they know now about this and correct it

russ_drinkwater

I ordered a classic 150 and not a lite! I paid for a standard 150 and not a lite!
The cost of returning the item to the states is crazy and I had it here for 3 months before I opened the box!
It is not midnites fault and it is not my fault!
The fault lies with the scumbag on ebay that sent me the lite instead of the classic 150.
I have taken the front off my 2nd 150 and put it on my son's lite. So I have a 150 with a lite front now.
That is the problem with buying gear from overseas. If you have problems it is a long to get it corrected and can cost more than the item. :(

BioPower

Russ you might get what you paid for that Classic or close to it if advertise it here in Australia as they are so much more money to buy locally as you know. At least then you could get what you really want. If the Ebay seller is half decent they should help out with fixing up the situation too.
9.5 KW Solar Panels, 2 Midnite Classic 150, 8 KW self-built 8 KW Inverter,  5KW AC coupled grid tie Inverter, Exide 775AH @C5 48V forklift battery