Newbie Questions

Started by josh, June 18, 2016, 05:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josh

Folks,

I'm embarking on a van conversion project (my first) and am leaning towards a Brat as my charge/load controller.  Before I make the plunge there are a few issues I'd like some clarification on, as well as some advice.

First, can I connect multiple electrical loads to the system?  My assumption is that if I connect multiple loads in parallel, with appropriately sized breakers, and make sure the total current draw is less than 10 amps then I should be ok.  Is this the case?

Second, quoting the manual, the Brat utilizes a three stage charging scheme:

Stage one, bulk charge - The Brat sends all available power to the batteries until the bulk voltage
setting is reached.
Stage two, Absorb charge - The Brat holds the batteries at the absorb voltage for two hours as
long as adequate power is available from the panels.
Stage Three, Float charge - The brat holds the batteries at the float voltage as long as adequate
power is available from the panels.

During the day, assuming I have MORE than adequate power coming from the panels to support stage 2 or stage 3 charging, am I effectively running off solar at that time with the net power from the panels, or am I still depleting the battery?

Lastly, I'm in the San Jose area, any suggestions on where to buy solar panels and preferred manufacturers?  I know I can buy online (Amazon and others) but I shudder at the thought of panels going UPS/FedEx.

Thanks in advance!

-Josh

tecnodave

Josh,

First off, you can make multiple connections to the load...you have two basic options here....the load out of the Brat is limited to whatever the specs are but if your larger loads are connected directly to the battery then the load output of the controller will not be an issue. If you plan any large loads they should be directly connected to battery. In any case......circuit breakers , I suggest a MidNite Big Baby Box and MidNite MNPV breakers as the most cost effective circuit protection.

On charging....if you have adequate power to charge the batteries and run loads at the same time then you are powering all with solar..loads are not drawing power from the batteries.

Up the road in Campbell is ML Solar, they are a solar source. Their solar ads flood the local Bay Area Craig's list listings in the "Solar" category . They buy manufacturers surplus, used systems and oddball stuff. Pretty good deals on used panels but beware they do have some oddballs......don't touch the 250 watt 8.8 volt 30 amp panels!  They just blew out a bunch of 200 watt mono panels at $50. ea in small quantities.   I fish Craig's list daily for deals....scored 280 watt poly Suntech for $50 ea. builders overbuy.......we live in SOLAR CITY!.....we have more solar here than most areas of the country

Although ML Solar does advertise MidNite Products I do not buy mine from them, they do not have the expertise that some others have and their price can be beat.

My first source of solar gear is NAWS.......Northern Arizona Wind &Sun....www.wind-sun.com
IMHO by far the most knowledgable dealer of MidNite products out there...they have the price, got the stuff, and great service.....plus NO sales tax on solar gear in Arizona!

PM me, I might be able to sell some panels.....I have some used Seimens SM-55's..@$35. ea.  size 13" wide by 51" long. About 1 1/2" thick monocrystalline. USED......I don't drive over the hill.....pick up in Corralitos only

ML Solar is making their own 12 volt 100 watt panels that would be perfect for you they are 24" X 24" square, I've used those for small scale systems

David.......over the hill in Watsonville
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P

josh

David,

Thanks for the insights, much appreciated!

-Josh