The KID Screen blinks, flashes trips breaker

Started by A J Coop, June 25, 2016, 05:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A J Coop

Hi all;
On the 22/06, My KID started it's day with a breaker tripp *KID to Battery* (MNEPV30A), during early morning what I call tick mode, No real reason for this!
Worked fine day/s before. Disconnecting the PV, checking the main 250A Breaker, cables, all OK. So I powered it back up (No PV),
it went trough the LED chase then the LCD and backlight started blinking, flashing then the KID said loose wire check! breaker tripped,
tacking it's advice I pulled it all apart, trying to find loose wire/s, No loose wire or terminals.
Put the KID back together crossed my fingers powered it back up, LEDs Chased, screen on and staying on good, then LCD blinked flashed breaker tripp.
Went from battery to main 250A Breaker, MNEPV breaker to KID all good, powering it back up the LEDs light up dull and did not chase!
powered it down Checked the KIDs own blade fuses, ok, went back to the terminals in the KID and thought I will change the wire from the KID to the Breaker,
Hours later making shore it was all connected properly it worked Thank GOD (NO PV).
The Next day during a 8Amp Absorb charge the breaker tripped?, replaced breaker with the LOAD breaker rarely used, again what the...
ANY HELP would be good, I have issued a Support ticket waiting for response.

The Kid is used for a Mini off Grid power system,
LG 315W PV
X3 165Ah Batteries
2500Kw PSW Inverter

Thank you
A J Coop

Vic

Hi A J Coop,  Welcome to the Forum.

Do you have a breaker on the PV input to the KID?   What is its rating?

So,  this must be a 12 V battery system?
And there is a single LG 315 W PV?
Is there any other charge source for this system?

Just trying to understand your system a bit better.

You should check all of the wiring from the PV module,  all the way to the KID.

Thanks,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

A J Coop

Hi Vic,
Thank you and thank you for the response.
I have a MNEPV 30A Breaker, A single LG 315 PV with a GFP Connected to it as well, installed to that of the manual!
12 Volt System..
No other charging sources.
When the KID tripped the Breaker the first time I disconnected the PV and it still tripped the Breaker * NO PV connected * and yes I checked the PV and cable all the way to the KID including ALL terminals (also KID to Batt, KID LOAD, even the WizBang Jr.) with a Digitech industrial spec DMM.
The only other possible thing was voltages to a cold Battery 9C cold batt. NO, downed the voltage by 1V below Manufacturers Specs still tripped Breaker..
I came to the forum because I have ran out of options 20+ years of electronic experience this has me stumped, solar is newish to me had no problems with it until now.

Vic

Thanks A J for the reply.

OK,  so the GFP Breaker is on the PV input to the KID.

Please make absolutely certain that the PV Negative lead goes to the PV -- or PV Negative on the KID,   as this is how the KID measures current.  Do NOT connect the PV Negative to the battery negative,  as is done in some other systems.

Other than that,  I have no additional ideas at this time.

Thanks,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

A J Coop

Thank you again Vic,

The PV- is on a BusBar labeled PV-, PV- to KID PV- nothing else so, PV- in to BusBar then to KID PV-.
The Batt BusBar labeled KID- Has Batt- (WhizBang Jr.), GFP White Wire, Then KID Batt-.
I also have a GND BusBar, connected to Batt box chassis to GFP Green wire then KID Ground Lug.

I can go in to the + side but I think you get the gist.

I totally understand the no idea.
Thank you for the help appreciated.
A J