Two separate battery packs and two WBJ & 2 x 150's

Started by russ_drinkwater, July 13, 2016, 01:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

russ_drinkwater

I have two battery banks on a splitter so I can change between battery banks as required.
The 870 amp I use during the day and switch to the 2670 amp bank at night time.
Each bank has its own classic 150 and WBJ.
How do I wire the earth lead from the inverter so the load is calculated by each WBJ without creating a false reading on each unit (WBJ)?
Can the WBJ's share the connection from the inverter?
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

Vic

Hi Russ,

The Negative lead of each battery bank needs to be connected together.

The battery end of each separate Shunt connects to this common battery Negative lead.

The Negative lead from the inverter connects to this negative common point.

All of the Negatives for the rest of each Classic CC  will connect to the other side of the respective Shuns  (ie,  the PV Negative and CC Negatives go to the side of their Shunts that are NOT connected to the battery Negative).

At least,  this is how I would do it.   Nice large system!   Good luck with the new batteries.   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

russ_drinkwater

Thanks for that Vic!
That is exactly what I did and I just wanted to be sure it was right.
I was a bit concerned wiring it that way would corrupt data from each WBJ, but I could not see any other way to wire it.
Got my 3rd classic 150 in the mail so I will have to get the other array of sharp panels up before the days get to toasty warm.
Through summer the 3 arrays should give me in excess of 25 kws of charge a day.
We only use approx 5 kws overnight so it should all be a stress free job for the systems!
I would love to be able to trim the smaller freezer out of the loop, but it is convenient to be able to open a much smaller unit for every day needs.
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

BAndrews

Quote from: Vic on July 13, 2016, 11:31:58 AM
Hi Russ,

The Negative lead of each battery bank needs to be connected together.

The battery end of each separate Shunt connects to this common battery Negative lead.

The Negative lead from the inverter connects to this negative common point.

All of the Negatives for the rest of each Classic CC  will connect to the other side of the respective Shuns  (ie,  the PV Negative and CC Negatives go to the side of their Shunts that are NOT connected to the battery Negative).

At least,  this is how I would do it.   Nice large system!   Good luck with the new batteries.   Vic

I can almost follow this.  I hate to ask - but - any possible chance of seeing a schematic for this?

4 Star Solar power center w/4KW Magnum inverter, (2) Midnite Solar Classic 150,  3.5 KW PV [(eight) Solarworld 265W, (4) Solarword 345W],  S550 (24 volt) Rolls Surrette battery bank.

russ_drinkwater

Are you running 2 banks of batteries and 2 regs?

BAndrews

Quote from: russ_drinkwater on August 20, 2016, 05:50:40 PM
Are you running 2 banks of batteries and 2 regs?

Trying to get an order placed at this time for a second charge controller and 24V battery pack.  Shipping expenses vary wildly with location on items like Rolls s550 batteries.  We have few or no solar vendors on the east coast. 

Second problem is trying to get a schematic for the system.  Figured I'd go ahead with adding the second pack to the existing system and put the second classic 150 in storage until the PV panels and mounts are installed.

One company is advertising 400 watt PV panels but attempts at communication leave me wondering if they are legit.  Six of these on a single top-of-pole mount would load out a classic 150......

4 Star Solar power center w/4KW Magnum inverter, (2) Midnite Solar Classic 150,  3.5 KW PV [(eight) Solarworld 265W, (4) Solarword 345W],  S550 (24 volt) Rolls Surrette battery bank.

russ_drinkwater

Have a look around for second hand panels from gridtie systems!
Here in australia I can but pallets of used panels, some a few years old for $50 each from the installers.
People upgrade their systems constantly (too much money I guess!) and the panels are just surplus.
You just needs to check the voltages and make sure you get like panels.
Brands like sharp, hyundi, and others are common place. May save you a bundle!
Have not seen any 400 watt panels for sale, and 300 watt are uncommon as well.
10 x 200 watt panels @ 24 volt is a kind load for your 150 reg.

Powerplay

QuoteOne company is advertising 400 watt PV panels but attempts at communication leave me wondering if they are legit.  Six of these on a single top-of-pole mount would load out a classic 150......

Different folks think of different things during system design.  I like smaller (wattage) panels because there are more replaceable units in the system.  Something goes wrong with a 400W panel and you just dropped 400W of generating power until you get it fixed.  And it is easier to hoss around smaller panels that tend to weigh less (I'm putting them up there myself and I ain't getting any younger).  I've seen a lot of 250 - 330W panels around.  I'm always space limited and prefer mono-crystalline types.  They have been rating between 85-90% and this must be taken into account in the design.  Also AGM batteries are easier to ship but tend to cost more.  I was getting free shipping on them for a while last fall and it partly offset the extra up front cost.  My 2 cent FWIW.  As for the schematic, I draw my own as a check of my own (weak) understanding. 
41 degrees N, 255 Ah 48V AGM, MagnaSine 4448 Inv, 3500W PV, Midnite Classic 150 A (12/6/15), Midnite Classic 150 B (4/14/16), WBjr, BTS, MNPV6 X 2, SPD X 2, Apps: Mini Split AC, Car Charger, Water pumps, Lighting, -> 48V string plan 500W, 94.5VmP, 112.5VoC, -15C - 40C TCVoC -.3%, TCIsC +.04%

russ_drinkwater

200 watt panels around 46 volts for $50 each and faultless are cheap as chips for me!