dc ssr wiring with classic

Started by bennyspoon, August 03, 2016, 06:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyspoon

hello everyone.

i have been experimenting with the waste not high function on my classic with an ac ssr on aux 1, works wonderfully.

when i try it with a dc ssr on aux 2 i am having some problems. i have a large resistive element connected that draws 30 amps and have used a 40 and 80 amp ssr. each time i have tried it the ssr stays on, even after the switching voltage is removed. 

i have the load wired to go through the relay, as in an automotive relay. in the picture,one wire goes to the load, the other wire that is removed went to the positive bus bar.

is this incorrect?

or do i need to incorporate a diode somewhere in this wiring? 

i have a crydom ssr waiting to go in, but want to get it right.

thanks,
ben.

48v system, 2 solar kids synced{1500w x2 arrays of trina honey 250w}with a 3rd kid synced for hydro f+p 700w turbine{early days!}, classic 150 for 4275w solar ,classic 250/ac clipper for wind {coming} , schneider xw+ 8548 inverter 645ah ex ups exide  jtt12v4800 ,3 strings{fingers crossed}.

zoneblue

Those ebay "Foteks" are rubbish. Place in the nearest trash can.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

ClassicCrazy

How hot did it get when it had that load on it ?

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

dgd

Take a look at the topic SSR help
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

kitestrings

They really should be mounted on heat sinks.

bennyspoon

classic crazy- it didn't really have time, i enabled the output on the classic, then disabled it and it was stuck on.

kitestrings- they are on heatsinks and the fan above them was activated at the time. just not really visible due to the angle.

dgd- is the topic ssr or ssr help?

thanks.

48v system, 2 solar kids synced{1500w x2 arrays of trina honey 250w}with a 3rd kid synced for hydro f+p 700w turbine{early days!}, classic 150 for 4275w solar ,classic 250/ac clipper for wind {coming} , schneider xw+ 8548 inverter 645ah ex ups exide  jtt12v4800 ,3 strings{fingers crossed}.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: bennyspoon on August 04, 2016, 11:18:12 PM
classic crazy- it didn't really have time, i enabled the output on the classic, then disabled it and it was stuck on.

kitestrings- they are on heatsinks and the fan above them was activated at the time. just not really visible due to the angle.

dgd- is the topic ssr or ssr help?

thanks.

There a jumper setting in the Classic that you need to set for aux - is that set to the proper setting to control your relay ?
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

bennyspoon

Yes indeed, jumper is in the correct position.

I suspect it has to do with the diode i am lacking, and quite possibly the poor quality of the test ssr's that i used.

Of course i could be totally off the track too.

kitestrings

ben,

It looks like you are wired correctly, except that you should have a breaker or fuse.  Just to rule out the obvious - the relay basically is just a switch in this case closing between terminals 1(-) & 2 (+)whenever there is over ~3VDC applied to 3(+) and 4(-), so if you isolate the signal wires from the classic and apply a voltage (3- 1.5 volt cells will work) it should close the switch.  You can also manually turn the aux2 on/off with the signal wires off and make sure you have 12V, and the correct polarity.  I assume you have a DC load and are within the rating of the relay.

You didn't mention voltage, but at 24V your pulling 750 watts; 48V would be 1.5 kW, that's handling quite a bit of load.  It looks like you're mounted on a (AL) plate on the wall.  You may need fin tube and/or stand-offs form the wall for proper cooling and it should have heat-conductive grease between the surfaces.  Heat will eat these things.

I've had one fail recently - though it's worked well for years - on a water pre-heating set up like what your doing.  Unfortunately they usually fail closed (as do mechanical relays).  With SS they usually appear fine, but regardless of the LED indication just don't open.  I found my voltage a bit low one sunny day, and soon found a load on that circuit unless I turned the breaker off.

Good luck, ~ks

SolarMusher

Quote from: bennyspoon on August 08, 2016, 01:17:43 AM
Yes indeed, jumper is in the correct position.

I suspect it has to do with the diode i am lacking, and quite possibly the poor quality of the test ssr's that i used.

Of course i could be totally off the track too.
I've got the same problem with a brand new crydom mounted with... diode. To me it's may be a faulty ssr but you really need to start it carefully with your Aux in manual off or auto when off only. I finally had success with two used crydom (don't ask me why :P) and switch it manually several times a week to discharge a bit deeper without troubles since two years.
A+
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

kitestrings

kitestrings

ClassicCrazy

Thanks for the links - I have been learning a lot about these relays from reading that info.
Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

bennyspoon

hey thanks for those links kitestrings, i hadn't considered the temperature derating- a good point.

i am at 48v. i will take a pic from another angle , they are on heatsinks, just not a good angle in that pic. i was a little impatient and left the breaker out.........foolish boy, tempting murphy!

once i install the diode i think we will be up and running.

thanks,
ben.

kitestrings

I just thought I'd shared some related information that I obtained recently on SSR's.  As I mentioned, we had one of two relays fail not long ago, and I was looking to replace it.  The original relay was no longer available, and I started communicating with a friendly sort, named Steve, at:
http://solidstaterelaystore.com/index.aspx

I had understood that a diode was required with inductive loads, but some of the vender information suggests that all loads are inductive to an extent.  In fact, I ask Steve this and this was his response:

"Yes, even resistive loads have flyback from the wires. The entire wire length from the PSU/Source Output Capacitor, through the SRR, the Load and back to the PSU/Source is inductive. There are multiple approaches, but given this is a replacement part for an existing installation, the flyback protection should be in place. For insurance use a TVS20 (200V max. clamping voltage) across the output of a PE2040.
This simple/easy/effective.

The TVS20 should not get hot. If it does, then whatever over-voltage protection was used, it is no longer working. IF the TVS20 is warn to hot, then it will do the job "as is". If the TVS20 is getting painfully hot, you will need a flyback diode, and possibly an additional capacitor to absorb flyback energy."

It appears they recommend the diode in all cases.  The MOV/voltage clamp in some, and even both in some.

~ks