Well What a Pain unable to manually charge my NiFe Bank

Started by Herman, August 25, 2016, 06:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman

I was wondering when it would happen
The DC power supply I had been using to charge the Ni Fe cells on those not so sunny days has given up and I am hoping they will fix it the second time under warranty, my alternative is to look for a new charger Inverter that can deal with Ni Fe cells in OZZIE unless you guys have a better idea.

mike90045

Yeah, I can use the generator and charger internal to the inverter, and can get close, but to get full, I need sun.

At least NiFe does not care about being at partial charge
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

Herman

Hi guys

As I have a 48 volt bank of  NiFe cells I have been wondering which is the best Charger Inverter I have been looking at Magnum MagnaSine Inverter / Chargers or the Schneider Off Grid type of system

mike90045

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

Herman

Both are in the 64 VDC range so the option would be to possibly drop two cells and pushing the charge up to 1.65 VDC per cell for a good charge then add the two cells back on then the next day drop another cells and go through the same process for a equalize charge that way the inverter does not go into over volt, then use 1.60 volt for your nominal charge 60 VDC.

Iron Edison is aware of the short fall of the inverter that they use and have mention that there is a firmware fix in the pipe line so that leaves the other option of waiting for that or keep surfing the web but how long is a piece of string?

mike90045

take comfort that nothing "bad" happens when you undercharge, you just don't have full capacity to draw from.

Do you have solar ?  With morningstar and classic, either can get the bank up to 67V, below the OV for the inverter, I don't sweat the cloudy days, after a week or 2 I'll get some sun to top them off with.

Moving cells in and out of the pack seems risky.

dgd

Quote from: Herman on September 16, 2016, 01:04:17 AM
Both are in the 64 VDC range so the option would be to possibly drop two cells and pushing the charge up to 1.65 VDC per cell for a good charge then add the two cells back on then the next day drop another cells and go through the same process for a equalize charge that way the inverter does not go into over volt, then use 1.60 volt for your nominal charge 60 VDC.

its generally never a good idea to temporarily remove cells from a bank to overcharge the remaining cells. Everything can get unbalanced after a while if its a daily use bank.

...  but how long is a piece of string?

isn't that twice the distance from one end to the middle?

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Herman

Good evening form OZ

Sorry I had not replied earlier but the good news is the company I bought the power supply of honored there warranty so they have sent the money back (as they are saying), so I am now on the look out for a new charger inverter for my 48 Volt bank banking on getting a 5 K VA which allows us flexibility with out power usage. 

russ_drinkwater

Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters