News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

co-install WBjr with magnum

Started by BAndrews, August 31, 2016, 06:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BAndrews

Followed the instructions for a cooperative install and hardware/firmware seems ok.  I like the fact that the graphics display of the Classic 150 rotates the "charge type" with the SOC every few seconds.

Previous to this install, the firmware in the Magnum panel had a setting where I could select the max percent of battery drain before shutdown.  Default was set at 50 percent and I left it there.  I tested it on two occasions and it did shut off the inverter when the SOC showing on the magnum went just below 50%.  After installing the Whizbang Jr, the magnum panel no longer seems to function.  On two occasions, I went below 50% and the inverter was not shut off.

Any idea what I've done wrong .... or how to fix it?

4 Star Solar power center w/4KW Magnum inverter, (2) Midnite Solar Classic 150,  3.5 KW PV [(eight) Solarworld 265W, (4) Solarword 345W],  S550 (24 volt) Rolls Surrette battery bank.

ClassicCrazy

Are you sure the wires from the magnum to the shunt are connected well ?

I know the Whizbang has to be installed in the correct direction - is it possible that the magnum wires also need to be on a certain way and perhaps they are backwards ?

Just some thoughts

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

BAndrews

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on August 31, 2016, 08:57:15 PM
Are you sure the wires from the magnum to the shunt are connected well ?

I know the Whizbang has to be installed in the correct direction - is it possible that the magnum wires also need to be on a certain way and perhaps they are backwards ?

Just some thoughts

Larry

Good thoughts. 

To be honest, I did not check the snugness of the fittings on the internal shunt going to the Magnum panel.  I'm adding it to the todo list.  The polarity of the WBJr was noted and it was installed correctly. 

The only trouble I encountered was the absence of space in the rather tiny mini-panel.  I have never worked in communications equipment that crowded.  It's the chronic reason I keep wondering if I need to scrap the current project and head in the direction of a prewired roomy panel with three Midnite Solar classic 150 controllers attached.  I could salvage the Magnum inverter (I'm impressed with it).

4 Star Solar power center w/4KW Magnum inverter, (2) Midnite Solar Classic 150,  3.5 KW PV [(eight) Solarworld 265W, (4) Solarword 345W],  S550 (24 volt) Rolls Surrette battery bank.

ClassicCrazy

Always nice to have some room to work on stuff !

On that Whizbang there were two ways to mount it on the shunt - one with short screws and one with the longer ones that came up farther so you could attach other wires there . I  am guessing you used the longer ones - but still hard sometimes to get things attached in tight space .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

BAndrews

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on August 31, 2016, 10:36:23 PM
Always nice to have some room to work on stuff !

On that Whizbang there were two ways to mount it on the shunt - one with short screws and one with the longer ones that came up farther so you could attach other wires there . I  am guessing you used the longer ones - but still hard sometimes to get things attached in tight space .

Larry

I don't recall the minutia of the install.