Local app battery volts - off by a tenth?

Started by Jszuckerman, September 15, 2016, 10:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jszuckerman

Am brand new owner of a Classic 150 - very happy with it.

The Local App is very useful, but I've noticed a couple of quirks.  Maybe this is a newbie question, but does the Local App read out battery voltage 0.1 volt too high?  My compensated absorb voltage is set to the desired 14.8, but most of the time LA reports delivering 14.9.  Just wondering if maybe there is a rounding error here.  (Given voltage drop batteries are probably getting the desired lesser voltage anyway, so this may be academic.)

Another thought, for my 12 volt system it might be nice if battery voltage precision were 0.01 volt instead of 0.1?  Lots of battery specs are given to 1/100th volt precision.  Just a thought.

Nice product.

TomW

Welcome to the forum!

Does the Local App agree with the Classics' Display?

You are aware of the calibration adjustment in the tweaks menu?

When I had an active system the App agreed with the display as far as I can recall.

I suspect .1 volts is fine for most users. Most specifications on the volts per cell are to the one hundredth of a volt but it seems the pack voltage is expressed as XX.X. Probably not a big deal to only have .1 volts resolution even on a 12 volt bank. At 12 volts .1 is only 8% and at 48 volts only 2%, Then again, I am no expert.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Resthome

Quote from: Jszuckerman on September 15, 2016, 10:59:20 AM
Am brand new owner of a Classic 150 - very happy with it.

The Local App is very useful, but I've noticed a couple of quirks.  Maybe this is a newbie question, but does the Local App read out battery voltage 0.1 volt too high?  My compensated absorb voltage is set to the desired 14.8, but most of the time LA reports delivering 14.9.  Just wondering if maybe there is a rounding error here.  (Given voltage drop batteries are probably getting the desired lesser voltage anyway, so this may be academic.)

Another thought, for my 12 volt system it might be nice if battery voltage precision were 0.01 volt instead of 0.1?  Lots of battery specs are given to 1/100th volt precision.  Just a thought.

Nice product.

I see this with the LA also.

Tom...  I think the point here is this is the Absorb set point. So the Classic and LA should never be showing higher than the Absorb set point as it should be constant voltage. 
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

Jszuckerman

Thanks, both.  Agree one tenth volt difference is not very significant; it is just a curiosity.  When I get home I will compare LA display with hardware display, report what I find. 

LA logs some nice daily stats, such as time spent in float.  I'd love to see daily time spent in absorb, bulk, and eq reported also (would complete the picture for me).

Resthome

Quote from: Jszuckerman on September 15, 2016, 04:25:38 PM
Thanks, both.  Agree one tenth volt difference is not very significant; it is just a curiosity.  When I get home I will compare LA display with hardware display, report what I find. 

LA logs some nice daily stats, such as time spent in float.  I'd love to see daily time spent in absorb, bulk, and eq reported also (would complete the picture for me).

You can calculate the time in each mode from the LA local data export. There is a flag for each mode if you select and export all data fields.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

Jszuckerman

Following up.  With my Classic 150 controller at resting I compared LA voltage to controller front panel display and to a voltmeter.  All gave identical readings (voltmeter reading of 12.83 yielded 12.8 reading from both classic and LA. Voltmeter reading of 12.84 and above pushed both the display and LA to 12.9, i.e., the display appears to round up very slightly prematurely in my system).  All in all, when resting the voltage report of my Classic 150 seems to be very accurate.  Found no evidence that the display reading diverges from the local app.

I think the "off-by-a-tenth" issue I observed arises only during charging, when the controller might be overshooting the target voltage by an insignificant amount.