my classic 200 says GOT COMM? NEED HELP FAST

Started by janoy876, September 19, 2016, 09:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

janoy876

4 DAYS  now my midnite classic wont charge all that it says is GOT COMM?  and it will stay there forever showing 0 volt for battery and pv. need some help fast please

FishH2o

Im in the same boat... Any update from your issue please?

Resthome

Quote from: janoy876 on September 19, 2016, 09:00:17 AM
4 DAYS  now my midnite classic wont charge all that it says is GOT COMM?  and it will stay there forever showing 0 volt for battery and pv. need some help fast please

An old post from Ryan on Got Comm?   Also check the short cable between the MNGP and the Classic.

This message is telling you that the MNGP "Display" is not able to communicate with the Classic. The most common cause of this would be that the address the MNGP is looking at got changed to one that is not on the network. When at the Home screen or main status screen there will be a word in the middle at the top. On a single Classic this should say Classic if it does not say this then you need to use the up and down arrows to find Classic. The MNGP should regain communications when this is set correctly.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

iraqisandman

After searching the web for a solution and reading the troubleshooting guide, and doing a quick search of this forum my problem was solved by resetting the circuit breaker between my PV and the Classic. 

Since someone else may be out there in a panic looking for an easy, quick solution I thought I'd post how I got positive results.

KyleM

We see a rash of this error as the temperatures starts to go up.

Double check your communication wire between the Control board and MNGP.  Make sure it has not been crimped  spindled or mutilated. Do not forget to check the contact pins on the cable and in the sockets. They do get moved around as time goes by and if they are not making good contact you will see the GOT COM error. Cleaning these contacts with acetone works wonders.

There are 6 wires in the communications cable the outer 2 are for the LEDs the secondary 2 are the power and the middle 2 are communications.

We have also made some changes to the latest FW 2193 that in some cases has fixed the GOT COM error just by doing an update.

We have noticed a trend that this error seems to happen more as the temps get higher so keeping your Classic cool is super important.   

Good Luck out there.
K

boB

One question is:   Is it just a communications error or are you sure that the Classic is not converting power from solar PV to the batteries ?

Have you tried resetting the Classic (power off and back on again) and does it work for a while ?  If so, then it MIGHT be the issue that Kyle was talking about in which case, a firmware update may just fix it.

If not, please take a multimeter and measure the PV input voltage to see if it is indeed zero volts and the battery voltage to see what it is.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

erikven

I have a weirder version of this same problem. Classic 200, 24 V solar system. Unit is alternating between GOT COMM? and resting. It can see the voltage but displays 0 Amps. I did both a software and a hardware  factory restore as per the manual, but the problem persists. Any ideas? Thank you.

boB

The MNGP will show pretty much zero everything if it is not communicating.

Is there any activity in the Classic itself ?  Internal 3 LEDs flashing or anything ?

You could try taking the cover off and plugging the MNGP phone cable into the middle phone jack of the three and see if it changes.

Sounds like they are not talking together for sure.   Do you have an Ethernet connection to try talking to the Classic over a network using our Local App or something using a PC ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

erikven

There is no charging activity. Lights are flashing both internal and external. Fan goes on and off in every 3 seconds.
repositioning the cable didn't help.
I do not have ethernet plug on any of my computers.
Midnite customer service told me to send it in, but if you something I can do before I send it in, I'll try that.

boB

OK then.  Sounds like the Classic is re--booting itself.

Out of ideas on this end.

Sorry.  We'll take care of you though

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me