Which enclosure to choose???

Started by Boompy, October 06, 2016, 08:26:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boompy

Hey guys

I'm in the market for a suitable enclosure for a trailer mounted application.

Basically, I've got a trailer mounted telemetry system using a small PV array (2 x 260W) panels in conjunction with a Midnite 150 CC and 100A DC generator. All loads are DC - this is a purely DC system @ 24V with an attached AGM battery bank.

I've provisioned HRC fusing and disconnect switches at both the battery bank and DC Generator. All cabling will terminate within a central cabinet housing a charge controller (and other ancillary control hardware).

Inside this cabinet, I would also like to install a central: PV breaker, generator input breaker, charge controller output breaker, master battery disconnect & ancillary load breaker.

I'd also like to install a Midnite shunt and associated bus bars for loads, earthing, etc

Now given that the DC generator is capable of delivering approx. 100A during bulk I'm obviously in need of a large generator breaker and the same applies to the battery breaker.

The MNDC175-X2 (or MNDC125-X2) seems to fit the bill (two large DC breakers included) only I do have limited space constraints. I can't install the charge controller on top of the enclosure, it would have to sit alongside the enclosure.

Given my requirement for bus bars, shunt and potentially a few DIN rail mounted relays, etc I assume this is the most appropriate enclosure? Its probably a bit of an overkill, but I do like the idea of using a prefabricated solution with provision for the addition of breakers, bus bars etc.

Feel free to critique my concept. Am I on the right track, am I crazy? Is there a smaller enclosure that would meet my needs?

Thanks!