Trojan L16's, brown colored bubbling electrolyte during EQ

Started by Jacotenente, November 20, 2016, 02:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacotenente

Has anyone else seen batteries with a brown, milky, dirty water look during EQ? All 12 of my Trojans batteries (36 cells total) were all this color while bubbling during EQ. After several hours, the water was clear again. EQ volts were exactly per Trojan's recommendation.

Chris

Vic

Hi Chris,

Have never seen a brown color in electrolyte.   But,  it is not uncommon,  especially when taking SG readings during EQ,  that there appears to be very,  very small light grey colored material that is suspended in the electrolyte.

Some time after the EQ is finished,  this material is not visible in the electrolyte.

If your batteries have a Moss Guard (a plastic guard that sits on top of the plates/separators),   the chance of Mossing,  which can cause shorting between the plates,  is reduced.

Relatively inexpensive batteries usually lack this Moss Guard.

This material that is suspended in the electrolyte during heavy Gassing is material that is sloughed ("sluffed") off of the plates during Gassing charge stages.

Some of this material will be deposited on the tops of the plates,  but,  generally,  this does not cause a problem.  As the batteries age,  more of this material can be in circulation,  and might increase the chance of cell shorting from mossing.

IMO,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

russ_drinkwater

I would suggest it is a by product from the slow decomposition of the plates and buzz bars in your batteries.
This is a normal occurrence in fla cells and the reason many of the larger solar cells have a sludge collection tray built into the bottom
of the battery housings. I am unsure if trojans have such a "rubbish bin" built in as they are a lighter battery.
Nothing to panic about and if you are using distilled water and not abusing the cells Chris then it will occur at a steady rate until
the plates are eaten away and the cells become non functional. It is just the nature of the beast in fla batteries even those with plante plate construction such as trojans L16's and many of the heavier deep cycle batteries. When you are equalizing and the electrolyte is moving
around I would imagine it stirs up any material resting on the bottom. Similar to a kettle with clear water and a small amount of silt in the bottom of it. When the kettle is boiled the silt for a time is suspended in the water from the movement.
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

Jacotenente

Thanks guys...I also adjusted the Classic's battery temp compensation and did a Fluke true RMS readings at the strings. I was "low" on voltage for several months. I don't think I ever EQ'ed them at the "correct" voltage per Trojan's recommendation. Been babying them. After about a week or so, I can tell they are running better. SOC is about 3-5 percentage points higher in the AM (before charging). I need to do another SG reading. So far, so good on these flooded Trojans. Got a great deal on them at the local distributor.

Chris

russ_drinkwater

Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

Jacotenente

Westbranch

Chris, does it help the EQ do a better job?  :o  Or is it just a transitory phase? ::)
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

russ_drinkwater

I am sure if you apply enough it will make all the equalizing process look a lottttttttttttt better! :o ::) :P ;D ;D