KID tripping BREAKER again, a month after repair!

Started by A J Coop, October 11, 2016, 12:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A J Coop

Hi users;
In June 16 my KID spat the dummy so i made this post General Discussion / Re: The KID Screen blinks, flashes trips breaker.
The Kid was sent back to MidNite for repair, got it back in July.
The kid worked flawlessly until 6 October. I was working away in my shed, then the sound of a breaker tripping (KID to BATT)! OH NOOOOOO...
I had a inverter working at the time (NOT hooked up to the LOAD, its on the WhizBang Jr Shunt and chunky Pos BusBar) munching a low 3.5Amps with about 5Amps Absorb going in to the batteries, 8 to 9Amps all up with a PV voltage of about 30V.
Well turning off the PV breakers, turning off the inverter and then main 250A breaker, turning on the inverter to release any electricity left in the circuit, restting the KID Batt breaker off to on back to off, having a quick look for possibles, found nothing, I assumed the KID just hiccuped!!
So then I turned on the main 250A breaker, waiting for a sec for the inverter to charge up, switched on the inverter all good turned it OFF, powered up the KID LEDs chased all stable, switched PV breakers relay ticked good, 5Amps Absorb good, did not switch on inverter. All going good, went back to my seat to get back to work.
5-10 minuets later that sound of the breaker being tripped   W T F...
AGAIN going through the shut down, i had a closer look at the system nothing no loose wires, terminals or SHORTS, tested by DMM, PV was tested OK Volts and AMPS.
Cross examend the KIDs manual wiring diagram, no inconsistencies there.
That night (6 Oct) I used the inverter -19.8Amps for four + hours. morning came (7 Oct) and was working well when the clouds passed i was getting 20.5PV 20.9WhizBang Jr.
Keeping my eye on the activity PV status and Whizbang for my logging, after a few minutes of not touching anything that sound O M F G...
Did the shut down, power up, all good, Tripp, AHHHH I don't understand... POWER up again, After absorb it hit float what a relief! no tripp, ha take that KID.
That night used the Inverter with a low -3.5Amps load for 5 + Hours very good.
(8 OCT) working well no issues, I I Just DONT KNOW, I think my KID needs a to be put over my knee and give it a good spanking!
so far so good.
I was thinking of powering up the inverter, it's a sunny day 9 Oct, I don't think the inverter is the problem, I use the inverter allot when the weather allows it.
Well the KID is in FLOAT no tripp today?
10 Oct give the KID a rest... All off.
Well it's now the 11 Oct and the KID was in float from midday to 2PM, went to do some things in the back yard, came back to see the KID OFF that breaker has tripped again.

The only thing i can think of it's the Kid it's self!
Any ideas or help lost without my KID!
If nothing I will have to ask MidNite What The!

Thank you
A J COOP

CDN-VT

DO YOU have one Negative from PV and a second negative from the batterys  and they are NOT the same potential.
NEG's are to be isolated , not like classics  ??

VT

So + & - FROM PV , &  + OUT TO + BREAKER & THEN THE - IS TO Shunt
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

A J Coop

YES they are separate (just had a look, just in case), PV- to KID-, PV+ to breaker GFP to KID+,  Batt- Shunt to KID-, KID Batt+ to breaker to +Busbar.
Wired from the manual looked it over many times? and just then for my reply to you.
Thank you.

Halfcrazy

Can you email me direct, I want to find out what firmware version you are on etc

ryan@midnitesolar.com
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

CDN-VT

Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.

mat

Hi,
I also had a breaker problem with my kid (you can find my post in The Kid section). Different from your problem : my breaker tripped at night...
Ryan probably sent you on this track already but who knows...
I was told to do a factory reset.
Re enter all charge values, re calibrate.
Maybe a bit more than one month niw. So far it's not tripping anymore...

Good luck

Mat

A J Coop

CDN-VT;
     That is for a classic! Any way;
The PV+ in to GFP then in to PV+ 30A Breaker then KID PV+.
The White wire KID Batt-, Green wire GND. That to the manual. Thank you.

mat;
The voltages are to the Batteries Factory specs (have the data sheet) even set 1V below spec at one stage, they are a little over a year old, did do KID factory default did all the calibrating and set points, no luck. I will have a look at your post in the KID section, Ryan is working with me to resolve this headache, I think this one gave him a headache as well. Any help is good help.
Thank you all.

A J Coop

Hi all;
Putting the KID away I was lost to the cause of the issues. Not letting it get to me not long ago I powered the KID up and bang, all the problems reared its ugly head. While keeping a eye on the KIDs behavior the KID went absolutely nuts, I was alerted by the relay tick, seen the LEDs chasing, racing to see what was going on, the KID rebooted, screen flashing blinking, and the sound of electrical chocking, I only heard once before but this was louder and longer, in amongst the screen blinking I seen WhizBang Wire loose! Also the WhizBang status would not be there. Got the DMM out and started testing the WhizBang Jr wire it was fine, even where it plugs in to the KID! Again on power up same issues. Had a closer look at the WhizBang Jr, well well I noticed a bit of what looked like Flux, the solder side of the wire and on to the (closest to) boards internal  jumper, scrapping it softly with a flat screw driver removed all of the suspect contamination. Put it all together again powered it up, restored factory defaults and reset set points, calibrated, gave the batts a little bit of use for the next day.
The Kid is now working within normal parameters.
It’s only been 5 Days and 5.3KWh later looking good (18/11/16 - 23/11/16).
The Kid was acting like it was and Tripping Breaker protecting its self from the contaminated (Corrupt/"Shorting out") Data from the WhizBang Jr. The Flux must have been slowly absorbing moisture?

Thank you all for your input, Appreciate it.
&
I would also like to thank MidNite solar for their help and making such a quality tolerant product, if this controller was made in CHINA I would have no doubt had a disaster.
Thanks again
A J Coop

CDN-VT

Great Report  A J Coop.

Im so glad ya figured it

VT

A J Coop

Thank you VT;
    OVER THE MOON...
;D
Well every one today Nov 27 the KID tripped that breaker again, again, again, then rebooted, tripped!
OH MY GOD, I just don't know. All cables are good, terminals good, no shorting, ended up disabling WhizBang Jr tripped, then plugged out tripped, again, again, again. Restore factory, reset set points, calibrated, got out the new spare breaker, TRIP :'(
Even rolled back Firmware, TRIP.
Absorb voltage was 14.4 now 14 (Went as low as 13.9), Spec sheet 14.4 - 13.8.
Float voltage 13.8 Spec sheet 13.8 - 13.5, any lower than 13.8 the kid don't rest stays in Float, well after sun set.
Shame, the KID was a awesome charger.
Going to try and get the kid stable but by the looks of it the malfunction is deep in the KID.
Later all

A J Coop