New KID install--need help with a couple issues

Started by AlaskaLarry, October 15, 2016, 01:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlaskaLarry

Thanks for the update VT!

I think I followed the manual and Mario's instructions to the T, however there is certainly a chance that I failed to hit "save" while setting up one or more of the functions/parameters of the LVD! I have a nagging feeling the problem I am having with it does have to do with the way it was set up. I certainly hope it is something that simple.

We are having an unusual October in that we almost always have snow on the ground to stay by this time each year, and we have none, and none in the forecast for awhile. So, there is a slight chance I will be able to fly out to the cabin and check the settings on the KID. If so, I will post the result.

Larry

CDN-VT

Great Larry !
I just pushed While I reread the post & even Mario didn,t say SAVE ,
Use Voltages over float & the rest , USE VOLTAGES
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

AlaskaLarry

VT--

I was wondering how you "simulated" a drop in battery voltage to see if the LVD was going to shut off the load? It's really important in my situation because even if I am able to fly out before the snow flies here, and reprogram the KID LVD (making sure to hit "save" after each program change), there is no way I can just jump in the airplane and fly away without knowing for sure that the LVD is working, because, as I mentioned earlier, temperatures will soon be reaching 30-40 degrees below zero, and very little to no sunlight on my panels. So, I can't take a chance on depleting my batteries and having them freeze.

Larry

CDN-VT

Larry I was using a DC voltage supply & can dial in the voltage. On a working system , without sparks ! Sorry you would need to test by turning off panels & drain batterys ..

BUT use LVD as in what you feel safe with , 12Vcd system Id do 12.1  reconnect at 12.9 .
Im using a electric fence  , spark system,,

What are you driving with the load 10 amp feed ?
VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.

AlaskaLarry

Thanks for the information. The only "load" I have wired to the load terminals of the KID is the 12 volt electric fence charger.

Larry

CDN-VT

Larry Im doing the same with mine , Zareba  DC powered 10 mile unit with 38K shots .
I didn't get a chance to read it's draw , I needed a hardwired AMP meter since it's a pulsation & an amp-clamp is iffy at best . & then My Brat took me way of course .
It must be a small draw . I'll measure mine this week , & the longer the run the more it will use to fire those caps off.

IM using an 8wdc LED bulb for testing LVD , I can just see myself like that taser joke if i was to play with a live shock machine !!

My wife thinks Im a Dumba$$ as it is , don't need to prove that one also.

VT

TomW

Just curious.

I did not see if your fencer is a straight  ac unit or battery based? Most of mine were / are battery powered and charged from either a grid charger or solar.

Do you charge batteries with solar DC, convert to AC, then use AC to charge the fencer?

If I was in a situation that was barely meeting my needs, I would not go dc to ac to dc if it was at all possible to go dc to dc.

Just a thought and may be way off the mark.

Tom

Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

AlaskaLarry

Thanks for your thoughts Tom. My fence charger is a straight DC unit, running off the two batteries that are connected to the KID. It has a very low amp draw, but because this entire system, from the panels, to the KID, to the batteries is new to me, I just can't trust that the LVD is going to disconnect the load, with no one there at the cabin for the next few months to make sure it operates as it is supposed to.

I will probably just have to wait until next summer, when we have a ton of daylight to maintain the batteries. I just need to come up with a way to test the KID LVD, so that I can be certain it is going to disconnect the load when I am not out there.

Larry

CDN-VT

Quote from: TomW on October 19, 2016, 10:40:28 AM
Just curious.

I did not see if your fencer is a straight  ac unit or battery based? Most of mine were / are battery powered and charged from either a grid charger or solar.

Do you charge batteries with solar DC, convert to AC, then use AC to charge the fencer?

If I was in a situation that was barely meeting my needs, I would not go dc to ac to dc if it was at all possible to go dc to dc.

Just a thought and may be way off the mark.

Tom

Great thought Tom , blew right by me . My DC fencer spark machine draws .253 amp per 2 seconds so 30 impulses per min 
Larry a kid & the right panel should look after this .

VT