Couple of MNDC175PLUS questions

Started by Boompy, October 20, 2016, 09:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boompy

Hi all

A few quick queries.

If I use an MNDC175PLUS (left sided hinge), will this accommodate a directly connected midnite classic mounted on the bottom left of the enclosure using the factory cable knockouts (I won't be using an inverter for this install)?

Is it feasible to use panel mount breakers rather than DIN breakers (I need a stud to connect an AWG2/0 cable from a generator)?

Thanks!

ClassicCrazy

If you are talking about mounting the Classic vertical you would only have one smaller hole on the side of the Classic to to fish all the wires through - I think it is 3/4 or 1 inch . Unless you are thinking of going down with a conduit of box from the bottom of the Classic and then back up to the box using conduit or chase using the  larger holes. I have always mounted my Classics on MNDC box on top and used the larger holes and knockouts . Consider there are at least three wires for PV in , Battery , and then battery temp sensor wire, ethernet wire, and I leave hanging out the USB firmware update cable too.  Also there would be the whizbang wire to go to the shunt inside the MNDC and if you wanted to have any other wires for the other AUX contacts.  It would be difficult to impossible to fit all that though the small hole in the side of the Classic.

If you are talking about mounting the Classic sideways it might work if you then use the larger knockouts and bottom holes on the Classic. You would have a MNGP sideways though that can be removed and with an extension  cable remounted anywhere more convenient so you could read and operated it without craning your neck sideways ! I don't think there are any reasons you couldn't  mount a classic sideways unless their are heat dissipation issues so better consult the Classic manual on that.

The MNDC does come with the plate to mount the panel type breakers that have the studs on back - at least the type that Midnite sells.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Boompy

Hey HalfCrazy

Thanks for the detailed response.

I really appreciate the feedback. Granted I hadn't considered the limited cable restraints for the classic entry point.

I'd probably endeavour to pass all Ethernet, bat temp cables and ancillary controls via a CC base conduit entry point. Unfortunately space / enclosure  constraints do not permit mounting hardware on top of the enclosure. Everything will be mounted inside an enclosure, so I have limited options.

Thanks again for the feedback, I greatly appreciate the response!

ClassicCrazy

I forgot to mention if you use the panel type breakers you can only fit three in - that is what the plate is punched for. If you use the other type breakers without the lugs - then five fit.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable