wiring multiple charge contollers

Started by shane, October 22, 2016, 09:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shane

I'm sure this is an easy one, covered somewhere in the forum, but my searching has been fruitless. 

The manual for the classic states:

When two or more Classics are paralleled onto one SINGLE DC Source a blocking diode must be used between each Classic and the input source to isolate each Classic from the other ones. With Solar arrays you would have one array per Classic, this only applies to larger wind or hydro turbines.

I am going to wire one array of 12 panels to each charge controller.  The controllers obviously merge inside my magnum AC/DC distribution enclosure. Each has a dedicated circuit breaker.

Are the Batteries still a DC source? is there still a need for a blocking diode on each line - somewhere between the distro panel and the charge controllers because of the batteries?

Or does the sentence: "With Solar arrays you would have one array per Classic, this only applies to larger wind or hydro turbine" simply tell me not to worry about it, and wire my 2d classic just like the first, and be done...

Thanks in advance.

Westbranch

Welcome, tell us about the arrays, are they facing different directions?
Have you considered the "Follow Me " feature, it ensures they both act in concert with the other and enter Absorb or Float together.
You should also calibrate them as closely as possible.
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

TomW

Quote from: shane on October 22, 2016, 09:09:00 AM

Are the Batteries still a DC source? is there still a need for a blocking diode on each line - somewhere between the distro panel and the charge controllers because of the batteries?

Thanks in advance.

Shane;

NO.

As far as The Classics are concerned, the batteries are a DC Load.

That bit with the diodes is only if you use 2 Classics on one source, such as a single solar array. The battery side does not care how many Classics you have directly connected, regardless of the source of the incoming power.

I will let others address the rest of your questions.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

shane

Tom,

Thanks for the response.  That is what I thought, but it was just confusing enough to me to warrant asking.

Westbranch,

1 array installed, 2d going into the ground w/in a few weeks.  Both facing as close to South as I can match them to my compass.  I will use the follow me, and synch the calibration.

thanks much.
Shane

CDN-VT

Quote from: shane on October 22, 2016, 08:21:36 PM
Tom,

Thanks for the response.  That is what I thought, but it was just confusing enough to me to warrant asking.

Westbranch,

1 array installed, 2d going into the ground w/in a few weeks.  Both facing as close to South as I can match them to my compass.  I will use the follow me, and synch the calibration.
thanks much.
Shane

Shane In two post your asking questions for Help , SPELL it out , NO abbreviations so WE do NOT become fused !! PLEASE  !!

And also add on your Sig line , Info like mine & many more here, It will help on the next questions .

VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels