Classic RCM

Started by javiti, June 26, 2017, 12:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

javiti

Hello my name is Javier I am new to the forum and I live in Spain. I do not speak English very well so I apologize if something is not well understood.
I have a doubt with a midnite classic that I understand is not sold in North America, it's the RCM model. According to the midnite page this has no USB connection or arc failure. My doubt is that if you do not have USB connection it is possible to update this driver, or it is not possible to do so and if it will have any consequences in the future.
Another issue is that the LITE version is still being sold here. At a very good price, but I have read several problems not having a screen, something related to the driver restarting after a few hours for not having a screen and a clock, I do not know if I explain myself well.
Thank you very much, I hope I have explained well, I had to use the translator.

Westbranch

Hello Javier, I think you would do better to contact MidNite directly.
Try  roy@midnitesolar.com

This is the first time i have heard of the RCM model and a  search showed it is only sold outside North America.

I did find this at   http://www.midnitesolar.com/products.php?productCat_ID=21
The Classic 150 RCM MPPT Charge Controller is IEC 62109 listed.It does not have Arc Fault or USB. It does have Ground Fault, free web monitoring, a graphics panel and Solar, Hydro and Wind Modes. The Classic 150 has a maximum output current of 96 amps, an operating voltage of 150 volts and works with 12 to 72 volt battery systems. The FREE MidNite Solar Local Application enables you to monitor your Classics over your local network or the Internet. As with the whole Classic Line, the Classic 150 has MidNite’s exclusive HyperVOC which extends VOC limits when needed.
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

boB

Not sure if I know that name "RCM" either but have heard it before...

As for being able to update the Classic firmware on a Classic without USB connection, yes you can update it.

To do that, you need to have a USB to RS-232 dongle/adapter that can plug your PC or laptop into
the Classic's bottom (master)  phone jack, which is normally used for chaining Classics together.

The pinout of this connector is available on the last page of the Midnite Classic Modbus document...

http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/classic_register_map_Rev-C5-December-8-2013.pdf

It works the same as the USB version except that you have to turn the power on to the Classic JUST after you
click on the UPDATE button on the PC application because the USB is already connected because of the
dongle.    You will also possibly change the dongle's port to the normal COM8 or change the appropriate .BAT file
argument to the new com port located in the c:\midnitesolar update directory on the PC. 

For instance, if the command line in the batch file says,

update_Classic-All Classic_Control_150_2126_1-12-2017.ctl -COM8

you would change it to,

update_Classic-All Classic_Control_150_2126_1-12-2017.ctl -COM12    if the dongle came up as com 12.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

javiti

Thanks for the answers. So Bob, the update is possible, but what I do not understand is how it would have to feed the classic to not having the rs232 of this.
What I said about Lite, what can you tell me? Is it worth buying? The Lite costs about 90â,¬ less than the Rcm.
Thanks again.

bee88man

From computer USB/RS-232 connects into RJ-11 (telephone type jack) on Classic.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: javiti on June 26, 2017, 12:27:23 PM
Hello my name is Javier I am new to the forum and I live in Spain. I do not speak English very well so I apologize if something is not well understood.
I have a doubt with a midnite classic that I understand is not sold in North America, it's the RCM model. According to the midnite page this has no USB connection or arc failure. My doubt is that if you do not have USB connection it is possible to update this driver, or it is not possible to do so and if it will have any consequences in the future.
Another issue is that the LITE version is still being sold here. At a very good price, but I have read several problems not having a screen, something related to the driver restarting after a few hours for not having a screen and a clock, I do not know if I explain myself well.
Thank you very much, I hope I have explained well, I had to use the translator.

There was a problem with some Classic Lite MNLP ( light panel ?)  but Midnite was replacing them with new ones under warranty . 

I had never heard of RCM model - it looks like it has MNGP ( graphics panel ) so you can read and program it directly from from front panel .  Updating it with the method Bob suggested  should not be difficult once you get the proper adapters to do that and get some help from here the first time for step by step.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

javiti

Thank you very much for the answers. I have to think all this well, my intention is to make the purchase after the summer. I can do well the Rcm, this model is rare for you and here does not take much in the market. Although for the price the cheapest I can get is the Lite, and the classic classic, it costs me about 70 â,¬ more than the Rcm model. I'll tell you and again thank you very much. I remain attentive to any comment you put here.

Westbranch

FYI, the most common comment I can recall about getting a Classic  Lite vs a standard Classic with MNGP etc, is that the person wished they had got a standard Classic ... the MNGP makes upgrading and making the settings much easier. A small price for the ease of updating /changing settings especially for fine tuning the settings...

When both a standard Classic and a Lite were purchased together, there was no problem as the MNGP can be used on both and also, usually, they were master and slave operating at the same time.

hth
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: javiti on June 27, 2017, 02:08:23 PM
Thank you very much for the answers. I have to think all this well, my intention is to make the purchase after the summer. I can do well the Rcm, this model is rare for you and here does not take much in the market. Although for the price the cheapest I can get is the Lite, and the classic classic, it costs me about 70 â,¬ more than the Rcm model. I'll tell you and again thank you very much. I remain attentive to any comment you put here.

You will also want the Whizbang which attaches to a shunt located in the wiring box . That allows the Classic - no matter which type you get , to give you a good estimate of the battery SOC  state of charge or capacity .  The Whizbang tells  how much power is going into the battery and how much is going to loads so it is very useful . You can also use the SOC for some other functions like having the classic stop charging at the Ending Amps point , and also use it in some of the AUX contact control function.

You will have to decide if you need Arc Fault and Ground Fault interrupter - both of these are included in the standard US MNGP version of the Classic. I do not remember if the Lite model had both of those or not. And the RCM states it only had Ground Fault I think .

I am not sure the difference in price in US dollars between the MSC and the Lite model . If you intend to use mostly your computer for monitoring and making changes to the Classic then it may not matter if  you get the Lite model. Midnite makes available the Local Status App software free that will monitor and program the Classic. I think it does work with the Lite model too .

Larry

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

javiti

Hi Larry, I am aware of the WBJ, I know all the good you have for the load. I've been living off grid for about 7 years and I've known the classic for a long time, only this Rcm model knows almost nothing yet. The Lite model, unlike the standard, does not have the arc fault and the screen evidently. Thank you very much for answering.

Sunshine

The RCM is a model that we designed for the Australian market. They have some slightly different regulations on how the circuit boards are allowed to be laid out. That is why they do not have a USB port.