time sync / clock sync

Started by mike90045, November 20, 2016, 12:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike90045

ever since DST ended, I've got the yellow background in the Local App and can't keep it away.

Could not find any other topics relating to time/clock sync, and never had issues with it before

So, I go to the LA, Settings and at the bottom, enter the correct time, hit the update button
and after that, the Write Settings to Classic arrow,   turns green for a minute or two, and then
goes back the the old time and background turns yellow again.

Am I having a brain fart and forgetting something really basic here ?

2054 MNGP   [ from Classic display menu ]
2096 Classic   [ from Classic display menu & Local App ]
2097 Network  [ from Local App ]
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

TomW

Mike;

Been awhile since I had an active Classic but I seem to recall a tiny check box that needed to be clicked to actually save changes from the Local App?

Not exactly sure now since its been a couple years but  it is a simple thing that causes that.
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

mike90045

This is the only time setting options I could find in the LA

I hit the [SYNC] button, and after that, the Update arrow.   Could not find any clock or time tick boxes anywhere else in the Settings Menus

Didn't find Time Sync Off in any menus

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

Resthome

Another way to get rid of that yellow Alert is to go to your Classic and Set the correct Standard time if you have the MNGP. You are getting the alert because the Classic's time is off an hour from the PC clock you are running the LA on.

IIRC the Time Sync is also a setting on the Classic. I believe it has to do with syncing the MNGP clock to the Classic clock. They are two separate clocks.   
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

Westbranch

Agree with John, I eventually addressed the Classic face to face to change the time... then everybody was happy again... :D
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

estragon

Just to clarify - the "time sync" setting is done on the classic mngp panel, not in local app.
Off-grid. 
Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter

mike90045

Quote from: estragon on November 20, 2016, 02:54:07 PM
Just to clarify - the "time sync" setting is done on the classic mngp panel, not in local app.   

Q1)  Is there a menu tree map to get to that ?

Q2)  Once I find the Time Sync Off button on the front panel,  will the LA update BOTH RTC's, or how do I get BOTH synchronized?

Q3) Is this something that an update to the next version of the LA can address ?

ClassicCrazy

On the MNGP the time sync On / Off is in Tweaks menu you have to go to More 4 to find it.

I never did really understand how the Time Sync is supposed to work - mine is set to ON but I also had the Yellow out of time sync on Local Status app after daylight savings time.  I fixed it like others have said by using MNGP to set the time and the Yellow Local Status app screen went away then.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

toothy

I have one that was called porch denoting where the panels are mounted, after many, many discussions I renamed her, "yes dear" and of course I love yellow!

W
2-Outback vfx3648's, 16 CALB CA400,   solar Classics 2/200's with 5.6kw of panels, WBjr's, Classic 200 with Kestrel 1kw turbine, Northern lights 10 kw back-up,

Resthome

Quote from: mike90045 on November 20, 2016, 06:38:10 PM
Quote from: estragon on November 20, 2016, 02:54:07 PM

Q1)  Is there a menu tree map to get to that ?

Q2)  Once I find the Time Sync Off button on the front panel,  will the LA update BOTH RTC's, or how do I get BOTH synchronized?

Q3) Is this something that an update to the next version of the LA can address ?

See page 4 of attached. It is old and may not be up to date in some places. I believe this is turned off only for the LA time setting function. That all had to do with setting the time on Lites because there was no MNGP RTC. And when Lites lost power they also lost the time settings.

If you leave Time Sync ON and set the MNGP Clock ( pg 3) then the MNGP RTC will sync with the Classic clock. Only the MNGP RTC has a battery backup to keep time when Classic is powered off

Doubt we will see any updates to the LA.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000

mike90045

Quote from: Resthome on November 21, 2016, 05:03:42 PM
...... you leave Time Sync ON and set the MNGP Clock ( pg 3) then the MNGP RTC will sync with the Classic clock. Only the MNGP RTC has a battery backup to keep time when Classic is powered off.........

Am I reading this right, the MNGP has battery backup, and syncs to the Classic, which has no battery ?

Anyway, I did get to the controller today, and set the time manually, and dug thru the menus and turned TMSYNC OFF.
no more yellow screen, and no idea why I'd not had issues with it before, unless a FW update had a new default that a REGISTER import did not overwrite.

QuoteClassic owner’s manual RevG 2056       http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/Classic_manual_REV_2056.pdf 
pg 37:
Setting the Date and Time
To set the date and time manually on the Classic follow the steps below.
 Push the Main Menu button repeatedly until Charge is highlighted.
 Scroll left or right to highlight "MISC" and push the Enter button
 Scroll to "Time" and push Enter
Now scroll left or right to highlight the data you want to manually change. Use the up and down buttons to change the data. When you have all the data changed push the Enter button to save the changes.
The Classic includes a battery (CR1216) in the MNGP portion to keep the time running even when the power is disconnected. To replace the battery refer to the Installation Manual

Note: If you plan to use the Local App to set the time and not the Classics Display "Time Sync" in the "Tweaks" menu must be disabled to prevent the MNGP (display) from over writing what the Local App does.
pg 85 Menu Map
pg 88 Tweaks menu ( about 4 levels down as TMSYNC on/off ) 

Resthome

You read it correct. But I believe you need to have Time Sync on so the MNGP RTC
with backup battery will keep the Classic time correct when the Classic is turned off.

There is special MNGP button press to display the Classic clock.  I have to
See if I can find it as I don't have access to my Classic currently.

Edited:  Here it is :

When you go to the TIME/DATE setting menu, you can also look at the time and date that is in the Classic itself by holding down the LEFT-ARROW key and tapping the SOFT-RIGHT key.  It will show you Classic Time and date as well as the seconds counting up.

Also a llot more on the reasons it's like this from boB in this thread.

http://kb1uas.com/mnsforum/index.php?topic=2107.0
John

boB

John has it right.

When you turn Time Synch to OFF, the MNGP stops sending the time and date to the Classic every minute and then
the Classic can take its time and date from the Local App.

Also, the MNGP's time and date will not be updated when the Classic is updated so it will have to be somewhat correct.
If the MNGP year is less than when the MNGP software was made, the MNGP will show  "SET TIME"  or something
like that.

The Classic does not have a clock calendar battery so this is why the MNGP sends time/date to the Classic every once in a while.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

australsolarier

this time sync thing is a real hassle. i think taking out the battery out of the mngp might solve that problem

mike90045

Quote from: australsolarier on April 06, 2019, 05:27:37 PM
this time sync thing is a real hassle. i think taking out the battery out of the mngp might solve that problem

What holds your device configuration settings if there is no battery ?