What is this, non electronics variety

Started by ralph day, December 01, 2016, 08:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ralph day

Okay folks, this is the place with the smartest people with the most varied experience I know.  Maybe someone can tell me WTF this is?

Some sort of board game from decades ago.  I bought it at a yard sale or something, and it's been on display in my home for 20 years or more.  Any time I'm asked what it is I make up something different from the last time I was asked.  Board is about 2feet by 2feet.

Any Ideas?  Feel free to add on to the thread to keep it interesting.

Ralph

Westbranch

Ralph, are there any players pieces that go with the board?

Also it looks like it is stone , but I expect it is  carved into a piece of wood...?
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

niel

yes, you must say what it is composed of and are those small ceramic tiles i see in it? my guess it is wood by the wear areas i see with tiles inlaid and my guess as to what it might be is a unique serving tray. how thick is it too?

ralph day

Sorry for not being too specific.  Must be used to the "what is it?" thread ;D

The board is wood, the squares are incised on the surface, some are coloured/painted.  No "players" or markers came with it, and of course, no rules or instructions.  I suspect someone made up a game to be played by candle light (age of item).  The pieces of wood comprising the surface look like pine, one 14" wide, the other 10" wide...flat, no warpage.  Lumber from a bygone era.  I have seen floorboards of white pine 24" wide.  They must have been impressive trees.

I've always thought it was something like Chinese checkers with players passing from one side to the other...but maybe not.  Some other guesses?

Ralph

niel

ralph,
the ends intrigue me somewhat and could you get a few closeups of those end pieces? any holes within them at all? if there are holes it could confirm that a wooden rod connected them to make as a carry handle on each end otherwise i'd be at a loss to picture what purpose those end pieces would have in that configuration, even if the board was purposed for games. my guess still is a serving tray of sorts. if all else fails then try an antique shop to see if they have any answers. let us know if you go that route to tell us what you find out.

ralph day

No holes anywhere in the ends Neil, just scroll work.  Maybe I should invent a game for it?  Use checkers, make up rules...the next Trivial Pursuit (dating myself, I loved that game)

Ralph

TomW

If it actually had some illumination on it it might be easier to sort out what it is.

Maybe it is my used up old eyes but it looks like the photo was taken in the dark with no flash from here.

Somehow doesn't quite seem fair without some bit of a hint?

Its all in fun I guess.

You win.

T
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

niel

ralph,
just because there are no holes does not mean i don't want the closeups. you are making this too difficult for us to help you identify it. as was said, you win.

ralph day

I'm not trying to flumox anyone, I just don't know what this thing is.  Any pictures with more light (flash or whatever) whips up a big shiney flare from the surface finish.  Sorry.

Anyone else have something around to post and share the fun?

Ralph

TomW

Quote from: ralph day on December 05, 2016, 07:33:34 AM
Anyone else have something around to post and share the fun?

Ralph

Ralph;

Yes, I have a few I could post but my rather vindictive ex would hunt me down and hurt me if they were recognized!

:o 8)

Its all in good fun.

Maybe use indirect lighting from a cloudy day to eliminate that glare issue?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

niel

seeing as we can have fun with it, i think it could be a smurf volleyball court.

TomW

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Westbranch

An early draft design for the I.S.S.?   ::)

but what might those dark rows, at  the center  of each 'arm' be?
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

ralph day

Finally found out what this board is for.  An ancient (iron age) game called Pachisi.  A google search shows up lots of information, how to play etc.  After reading the rule set(s) I decided it's just a nice conversation piece.  I have enough trouble playing checkers.