To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

what type of wires to use?

Started by kauaisolarman, December 06, 2016, 04:06:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grgdgreek

Just put ferrules on em' and you're all set

George
Home:6*135w mitsu.10*175w shuko. 2* cl150.3*D400 turbines.
Rolls18*4v series 5000 545ah*3 .2*Victron 3000 multiplus inv/chg. 24v. Shop:28*185w shuko. Sunny island. Sunnyboy.Rolls 40*s530.48volt.Sunny web box.

Resthome

Quote from: grgdgreek on December 19, 2016, 03:07:37 PM
Just put ferrules on em' and you're all set

George

Exactly.  Now get it to fit in that terminal block   :-\
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

grgdgreek

Yeah, I had a hell of a time getting them to fit...
Still trying to wrap my head around the small terminal block

George
Rolls18*4v series 5000 545ah*3 .2*Victron 3000 multiplus inv/chg. 24v. Shop:28*185w shuko. Sunny island. Sunnyboy.Rolls 40*s530.48volt.Sunny web box.

Vic

Just to beat this topic to death,  a bit more;

Anyone who believes that one "just" needs to use some ferrules,  and one is all set,   PLEASE read this Article,  it is only a couple of pages:

https://www.nema.org/Technical/Documents/Bull_105_Fine-Stranded%20Connections.pdf

This was referenced in this Thread  previously,  but there are ferrules,  and there are ferrules.   And,  there are many,  many different crimpers,   dies,  and cable stranding classes.

Any ferrule must be marked and listed for use with a specific class of stranding in a cable,  AND a crimper that is appropriate to the cable and ferrule MUST be used.

This is in the Code.   Even for systems that will not be inspected,  using proper cable connections is an important safety matter.

Ferrules will add one,  or two additional  resistance points per cable.

I would guess that Anchor fine strand cable would be compatible with Anchor Lugs.   But  this should be confirmed by Anchor,  by asking for a compatibility table,  or similar,  that states which Lug part number is compatible with each cable part number,  of interest.

Anchor should state which Crimper/Die is to be used for each size of cable and lug that is going to be used.

Am not a real Code guru.  And some parts of the more recent NEC really do seem to be a bit excessive.   But,  sizing cable,  breakers,  and doing proper terminations is one of the most important,  basic things that need to be done to make a system as safe as possible.  An electrical fire,  in  a power generating system is an ugly thing.

Not to put too fine a point on it ...   IMO,   Vic

Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

TomW

Vic;

Agree on your beating it to death comments. Especially where code compliance or possible future insurance coverage may matter.

This cable and ferrules confusion is exactly why giving online advice to folks with unknown skills / knowledge could possibly lead to problems.

Lots of little gotchas hidden in a simple statement like "just use ferrules". Improper application of this advice can add more points of failure if done incorrectly due to inexperience.

Just because I think it matters.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

grgdgreek

Vic

Hi George,

I did not mean for my comments to be an attack on you.

I should have tried to make my recent comments more generic,  and less specific.

EDIT:
Your comments were strongly implied by others.

I was just trying to be emphatic,  that without some specifications and control of the connection ends,  and the tools to crimp them,  the outcome is not controlled.

Charging batteries often takes a number of hours,  at relatively high currents,  so even small connection resistance can cause significant heating,  over a fairly long period of time.

Also,  thermal-cycling induces additional cold-flow,  and loosening of many fasteners,  which can cause a  rise in connection resistance.

Sorry,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

grgdgreek

No problem Vic!
I love this forum + everyone is just offering their opinions and knowledge. :-)

George

sigp2101

DIY-ers should always go above and beyond minimum code requirements. Because that is what the code is. Lack of additional knowledge training and expertise is what creates problems if you just adhere to code as a novice. People often think that using a minimum will give them desired outcome. Most of the time minimum is not enough.
Marine grade wire is excellent choice only if termination of those ends are also per specs. Strip - flux - solder by dipping into molten solder. Do not use soldering iron on thick wire. You are after wet look of the soldered end. Not frosty look or cracked look but shiny and wet look. Put end into the block tighten per spec and after one hour tighten each screw again. Revisit tomorrow and retighten again if needed. This way you will have solid contact that will last.
Off grid system:
3 X 230W 36V 8A SolarWorld in series,
Classic 150,
36V BB - 225Ah 6x6V Trojan T-105 T2,
3000W psw Inverter,
Fridge 159KWh/Y, 30W led lights, laptop, TV.