3 strings in battery pack, cross connect?

Started by daloniga, December 10, 2016, 04:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacotenente

Looks awfully similar to what I am doing with my three strings. However, folks, I am having something going on that I should be slapped silly for doing. I think I caught the issue early enough not to cause significant damage. Give you a hint...my three Classics are really strong and was doing things that shouldn't be done. On my YouTube channel I explain it...check it out if you want. Oops.

TomW

Quote from: Chris DIYer on December 23, 2016, 09:05:18 PMOn my YouTube channel I explain it...check it out if you want. Oops.

Frankly, not many folks will go hunt down your YouTube channel so posting a link would work much better.

Just a heads up.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

CDN-VT

This looks odd but it's actually quite simple. What has been done here is to start with 2 pairs of batteries. Each wired in the proper "cross diagonal" method. Then each pair is wired together, again in the cross diagonal method.

Notice that for each individual battery, the current always goes through a total of one long link and one short link before reaching the loads.

This method also achieves perfect balance between all 4 batteries and may be easier to wire up in some installations. Many thanks to "smileypete" from www.canalworld.net/forums for this idea.

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

TomW

VT;

I get how this works and it is  somewhat sneaky smart. It just makes my head hurt looking at it as a whole.  :o Once you trace the paths individually it gets more clear.

One situation where more connections makes sense in a way.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

russ_drinkwater

Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

kitestrings

Don't you only have a single, series string with the Rolls 4V cells, or have I missed something?

CDN-VT

You can do the same with 4Vdc Tubs that are Series /Parallel on trying to increase the Amp Hr's

VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

russ_drinkwater

I run two separate banks of 24 volts on separate ergs and panels.
Inverter draws off both banks.
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

dgd

Quote from: russ_drinkwater on January 05, 2017, 06:42:28 AM
Inverter draws off both banks.

how does that work? Are both battery banks somehow connected to the inverter's DC input?

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

russ_drinkwater

Yes I run a an isolator switch 4 position. Off, bank 1, bank 2 or bank 1&2 together. When I had the smaller bank of trojans I would run the house on the trojans during the day and switch to 1 bank of the rolls overnight. Now I have the two banks of rolls up and running I found the
2700 amps @ 24 volts did not need any switching between banks. So I just draw off the 2 banks together unless it is really overcast for a long period and then I switch to grid tie and monitor battery health or wait for finer weather.
The overload switch in that link is a tad small at 100amps and dumps out if we use a chip cooker or the like! :o ;D
Wife is trained up and switches or when necessary, even checks the classics for voltages and soc! :o ;D
Working on her and the electrolyte levels next! :o :'( ;)