ePanel switch position question with generator running....

Started by Crispy, December 16, 2016, 10:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crispy

4x150w PV panels, FLEXmax60, FXR2012, "Cabin System".

Say I am in NORMAL mode with PV's charging and Gen/Grid isolated by the Bypass Switch. What position should the Inverter AC Input Disconnect switch be in?

Put another way... Say the system in in Normal mode with the PV's charging through the DC+ buss and the Gen/Grid buss is isolated by the tied breakers BUT the generator is running and the 50A Inverter AC Input Disconnect is ON to the AC In Hot on the inverter. Is that OK?   Thanks, C.

Halfcrazy

So I think what you are asking is about the single breaker that is behind the bypass slider all by itself. So let me try to explain both pieces the best I can:

1- Breaker that is behind the slider and labeled AC in, this breaker physically connects the AC in bus bar inside the E-Panel to the AC in inside the inverter. So with it ON the generator or grid will be connected to the inverter and when off it is disconnected.

2- AC Bypass, This is a little more complicated to explain but it has 2 states UP/Normal  and  DOWN/Bypass, This also has nothing to do with the AC IN going to the inverter.

Up/Normal = AC Out bus bar in the E-Panel is physically connected to the AC out inside the inverter.
Down/Bypass = AC Out bus bar in the E-Panel is physically unhooked from the inverters AC out for isolation and the AC IN and AC OUT bus bars in the E-Panel are physically connected together so the loads are bypassed and run off the generator / grid
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Crispy

Thanks Halfcra for the reply. My worry was about the charging. I wasn't sure how the inverter handled being charged by the PV array and also being fed with AC from grid/genny.

I can guess that the inverter would see everything as great if the PV array is charging and just say no to help from the grid/genny. Is that right? If so, why would I ever want to turn that breaker off? 

I'm new at this and being completely off-grid, I've been looking at it as one or the other, PV or Generator and haven't even needed the generator until recently.

Thanks, C.

Halfcrazy

Multiple charging sources are fine, The only real reason I can think of to turn the breaker off would be to cool down the generator or if the inverter failed and you wanted to run the bypass and feed the house
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time