Battery Temperature sensor specifications and pinout

Started by gmac, December 26, 2016, 06:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmac

G'day All,
Does anyone know the specifications of  the Midnite BTS and the pin-outs of the RJ11 connector
Is the scaling 5mV per °C
Are the Midnite Solar BTS and the Outback RTS the same?
Regards
Gmac

Vic

Hi gmac,  welcome to the Forum.

The MN BTS uses a Negative Temperature Coefficient (NTC) Thermistor  --  a resistor that changes its resistance,  depending upon its temperature.

The OB and MN RTS/BTSes appear to be identical,  and therefore interchangeable.

The Scale Factor (the amount of compensation)  is determined by the Firmware in the CC/Inverter,  etc.

EDIT:  So,  the Thermistor changes its resistance, based on the temperature of the battery to which it is attached.  There is a source of DC current that flows through the Thermistor,  so there is a voltage produced,  depending upon its resistance.  This voltage is measured by a microcontroller in the CC/Inverter,  and that device applies the correct compensation,  based upon the compensation value,  entered by the user of the system,  during the setup.<

May I ask why you need this information?

Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

gmac

G'day Thanks for the info.
The reason for the question is 2 fold, firstly I expected them to be the same but needed to confirm it.
Secondly I have 2 x Outback FLEXmax 60 charge controllers and a friend had a spare Midnite BTS and I was looking for a Outback RTS.
I intend to connect it to the master CC for my new battery bank.
Regards
Gmac

Vic

Gmac,

OK,  thanks for the detail.

I have looked at the OB and MN RTS/BTSes,   and they appear to be essentially identical.

If the OB CCs are powered,  you should be able to plug in the MN BTS,  and see how the Compensation looks.  Have used  a glass of ice water,  placed the BTSes in a good plastic bag,  to try to confirm their similarity.   The two were very close,  but had to convert the Temperature number from the OB,  which has a relatively coarse resolution.

Later,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!