New Communication Box

Started by Resthome, January 16, 2017, 01:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onanparts

Combox with top and bottom on..:)

I got the deluxe kit, it had a solar cell and a meter.

Midnite B17-10. 50kW Cont. 150kW Surge... Me/Myself/And/I

wagreg

will this work with the SL model classic?

Highflyer

Looks good, glad to see the commbox is running and ready for action.  Next step, Beta testing!
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

boB

Quote from: wagreg on October 03, 2021, 08:15:58 AM
will this work with the SL model classic?

I'm not sure ?   I had forgotten what features the Classic SL was lacking which might make a difference.
Turns out our link for that appears to be dead at the moment.  Having that fixed right away

Depends on whether or not it is communicating with the Classic via either Ethernet or the modbus RS232 jacks.

If Ethernet is used, then a simple Ethernet switch is needed to add extra Ethernet connections and retain local network connectivity.  At least those switches are real inexpensive...  Like less than $20

Ethernet is the quickest way to communicate with a Classic and does not interfere with Classics connected in Follow-Me mode.  But I'm pretty sure that Classic SLs are lacking one or the other communications method.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

The Classic SL,  LACKS the Ethernet port,  has RS232 & Modbus,  the chart says:

"RS232, Modbus" Communication

Comparison chart,  here:
http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/Classic-Lite-SL-Chart.pdf

QUESTION,  boB:

Have always been hoping that the Combox might have Analog voltage input,  so that it might be able to measure battery voltage (Sense leads),  so,  with a firmware tweak,  that the Classic might know the actual battery voltage reading.   Would bet that this want,  is,  just too obscure.

It sure IS great that the Hawkes Bay and Barcelona CCs  do have battery voltage Sense.

73  Thanks,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

boB

Quote from: Vic on October 03, 2021, 04:20:49 PM
The Classic SL,  LACKS the Ethernet port,  has RS232 & Modbus,  the chart says:

"RS232, Modbus" Communication

Comparison chart,  here:
http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/Classic-Lite-SL-Chart.pdf

QUESTION,  boB:

Have always been hoping that the Combox might have Analog voltage input,  so that it might be able to measure battery voltage (Sense leads),  so,  with a firmware tweak,  that the Classic might know the actual battery voltage reading.   Would bet that this want,  is,  just too obscure.

It sure IS great that the Hawkes Bay and Barcelona CCs  do have battery voltage Sense.

73  Thanks,  Vic

Well dang.  I guess the SL isn't going to be compatible except that there IS RS-232 on the combox intended to talk to Classics via modbus.  That will just take a bit longer I think to end up in its software.

What I would REALLY like to have is the Whizbang Junior have voltage sense as well as current.  That would take another A/D on it.  I think it would be a pretty cool addition.  The WB Jr. is near the battery anyway so the negative connection that is one screw of the shunt could probably be the negative battery voltage sense connection.  Just add one wire.  Maybe a jumper so a separate battery negative could be used if needed.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Wizbandit

I have the code running 4 Classics now with a few more data choices...
System wide tally is going to be a hit I expect...

Vic

Hi Whiz .. ,

Graphs and data looks great !!   Nice work,  Thanks,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

mike90045

What about the Classic 250-CP version ?   I know there used to be a page here describing it, and I thought it came with functioning ethernet?   went to verify that, and the page is   " either missing or off limits to you  "
http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=4606.0

I bought one as a backup controller, and understood several things were excluded, but I thought ethernet was present.   the -CP is in a box in my shop .
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

FNG

Quote from: mike90045 on October 05, 2021, 02:08:17 AM
What about the Classic 250-CP version ?   I know there used to be a page here describing it, and I thought it came with functioning ethernet?   went to verify that, and the page is   " either missing or off limits to you  "

I bought one as a backup controller, and understood several things were excluded, but I thought ethernet was present.   the -CP is in a box in my shop .

Yes Classic 250CP and Carpoff Classics had functioning Ethernet so they would work with this just fine, We of course will eventually get RS232 comms working between the combox and Classic as well

FNG

Quote from: mike90045 on October 05, 2021, 02:08:17 AM

Yes Classic 250CP and Carpoff Classics had functioning Ethernet so they would work with this just fine, We of course will eventually get RS232 comms working between the combox and Classic as well

devo

Is there any guess on a release date for the combox? Any more info on it? Wouldn't happen to support SNMP by chance?

FNG

We will have 2 different comboxes, One for the DIY product line to monitor them, This one is slated for January of 22. The second one for the new products needs a lot of engineering time still, Hardware seems proven and we have ordered a small quantity of boards to verify. I dont have a feeling on a good release date but maybe Q4 of 22 or some time early 23

Jim Dorchak

I am Jim Dorchak in Chile South America........ ya the deep south.
I really would like to be a part of the new MN COMBOX!!
I have 3 midnite classic 150s that I am using on two different systems here.
A small 24 volt system
and a bigger 48 volt 10Kw system.
Both of these are off grid systems.
Monitoring for me is a MUST!!!
Has anyone heard anything on the production of this new MN COMBOX?
Jim in Chile.  ;D
I have two off grid systems:
System 1: CLASSIC 150/  1500 watts 24 Volts / 6 panels @ 225w/ MPPSOLAR 5KW 24 Volt Inverter. Installed 2013

System 2: Two Classic 150s/ 10Kw 48 Volts/ 30 Panels @ 330w Canadian Solar/ 2 5KW MPPSOLAR 48V Inverters. Installed 2018

Wizbandit

It's been a while so I guess it's time for an update.  I have been working on adding all the new products to the MNCOMBOX that use CANBUS to communicate. It has been a challenge for sure but over the last 6 months I have semi-working code.  The Classic and DIY modules seem to be bug-free (ha, famous last words). That's the good news, rumor has it the MNCOMBOX project may be dead and the monitoring is moving to a CANBUS "dongle" with a phone and PC app.  Also to note, I'm doing all this coding on my own time and not while on the clock at Midnite...

Here is a Rosie Inverter screen shot:
Dashboard1.JPG