To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

LED Flashlight

Started by niel, January 20, 2017, 09:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

niel

what makes you think you did something?

Westbranch

to get back to the topic,  I was looking at one of the links and went looking at a mid-priced LED light, and suddenly realized I did not really know what they meant by ''Tactical''...  when they listed the strange raised lip around the lights lens cover...
Can someone/anyone define it differently than Wiki does?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_light
essentially associates it with shooting
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Westbranch on February 02, 2017, 12:32:09 AM
to get back to the topic,  I was looking at one of the links and went looking at a mid-priced LED light, and suddenly realized I did not really know what they meant by ''Tactical''...  when they listed the strange raised lip around the lights lens cover...
Can someone/anyone define it differently than Wiki does?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_light
essentially associates it with shooting

I always thought it meant that ribbed rough end could be used as a self defense weapon - blind someone and then bash them with that end of the light when clenched in your hand would hurt .  So that is why I think they are called tactical. 
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

littleharbor2

Pretty sure the raised lip is for busting an auto window out in an emergency. Probably not the best thing for the flashlight but in an emergency....

From Prepper journal, http://www.theprepperjournal.com/2013/07/01/why-you-should-carry-and-know-how-to-use-a-tactical-flashlight/
Self Defense â€" Flashlights can easily assist you in a self-defense situation. For starters, most modern tactical flashlights are very bright. By bright I mean it hurts your brain to look at them â€" bright. If someone is threatening you, just flash the light in their eyes and blind them temporarily while you make your get away or maneuver into position. Also, a lot of tactical flashlights have bezel edges. These are supposed to assist you in breaking a window, but I wouldn’t try that with my flashlight. What they would be good at though is cracking a skull. If you blind an attacker and then smash him on the head with your flashlight that will definitely get their attention and will break the skin at a minimum
12 Suntech 175's
   Classic 200
   Bogart Tri Metric
   Trace SW 4024 (brand new, sort of, first energized Feb. 2015)
  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4  Battery bank

TomW

Some of the "tactical" flashlights I looked at had various features.

Dazzler, flickering insanely bright blinding light.

Zapper, AKA stun gun or tazer.

Thumper, as thump on the skull or busting glass with reduced impact area for intense Pounds / foot impact for given weight.

Even saw one that had a tazer that shot out the pins / wires so you didn't need to get close to zap an assailant.

So, I say, "Tactical" can mean many things. Most of which I am uninterested in.

If I need to defend myself, I ain't getting in close and don't want half measures like a light or skull thumper.  I much prefer a more effective point and click method.

Anyway, typically, you probably need to read closely what they are selling.

My favorite flashlight is an LED unit with like 4 AAA in a cylindrical holder in  it, nice light, batteries go on a long time. Bought years ago in a truckstop when I needed one to do a repair, it was cheaper than replacement batteries for the 4 cell Mag Lite I had that had dead batteries. Nothing fancy, no "features" just a solid, useful light to have in case you need some light. No idea on the brand, doesn't have any info on it. Has like 30 LEDs, and is made of aluminum. Works fine with rechargeables as well. but works best with good alkalines and they last a long time.

Anyway, my point is  cheap is not necessarily bad. That lite has been abused and used hard in all weather even left in the bed of the pickup for a week or so of rain and it is still working fine after a decade or more.

Probably no help but just my experience.

Unless you have a specific need for the "tactical" features I would avoid them. Just more stuff to fail and learn how to use.

Just my opinion, likely not shared by everyone.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

niel

i paid 0 attention to the term tactical as that's wide open for interpretation. this could also mean the light isn't rugged for hitting whatever, but for just mounting to a gun. if one uses it like a hammer, i seriously doubt it'll still work afterwards. they often give drop specs at 2 meters and hitting someone or something is certainly worse than the 2 meter drop they specify. that's about 6ft and not much of an impact. it's a selling term imho.

ClassicCrazy

Neil,
Did you ever get a flashlight ? What did you choose ?
A week or two ago I received the cheapies I ordered on ebay when you got me looking at them.
I was just outside with the tiny 1 AAA light - geez that thing really throws a lot of light out and even will focus a spot farther away.
I remember when the two AA mini mag light with the xenon bulb was the best . Now one of those seems like dim light - this little tiny single AAA battery light are 10 times brighter than the old mini mag.  So who know how long it will last - actually feels pretty solid.

Amazing for the $1  it cost.

Also received the  1 AA light from same place . The AA light I haven't used yet because I only have NiMH rechargeable batteries and it doesn't seem to like that - is dim so will have to scrounge up a decent alkaline to try it out. Although I have another single AA LED light that is bright as can be with same NiMH battery .
Just looked up the new  light and see that it is supposed to be 18650 battery so no wonder it is dim on AA !  That is like half the voltage so it should really be bright when I get a proper battery in it . Will have to find an old laptop battery pack I have and take one of the cells out of it  - lots free high quality 18650 cells in there !

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

russ_drinkwater

Yeah CC those new led torches are insane for their size and durability and cost! :o ;D
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

niel

well, if any are interested in this, what many here seem to deem to be from a troll, i have decided on the fenix fd30, but i have to wait to get a few bills out of the way to be sure i have funds available as this isn't cheap. i know i'm probably spending far too much, but i have to have something that fits the bill and is loaded with quality. any secondary buys can go by the way of the cheaper stuff for more than 1 light is a good thing to have and i'll probably get them later.

btw cc, how are those lights working out for you over this stretch of time? are the nimh aa still not doing well? might be due to no electronics boosting the battery in that model.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: niel on March 03, 2017, 11:22:04 PM
well, if any are interested in this, what many here seem to deem to be from a troll, i have decided on the fenix fd30, but i have to wait to get a few bills out of the way to be sure i have funds available as this isn't cheap. i know i'm probably spending far too much, but i have to have something that fits the bill and is loaded with quality. any secondary buys can go by the way of the cheaper stuff for more than 1 light is a good thing to have and i'll probably get them later.

btw cc, how are those lights working out for you over this stretch of time? are the nimh aa still not doing well? might be due to no electronics boosting the battery in that model.

I never did get the Red bigger light working yet - I was going to stick in a 18650 lithium out of a laptop pack but it won't fit .

The little AAA light I just have a cheap heavy duty alkaline in and it work fine .  In fact I ordered two more for a buck each. Guess I can give them to friends or just have them laying around everywhere !

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

niel

give me the link to that one again as i wish to view that over.

i know the one i have that is the taclight i got from a local store takes the 3 aaa batteries or an 18650 and it does not last very long with the aaa batteries. i can't see me in an outage or much else with that taclight where the light needs to work for an hour or more. no memory on last setting either so one has to cycle it with a light touch on the rear switch. the strobe is the 4th setting so on turn on it will need to go through 3 other settings before the blinding strobe. a useless feature imo. most bright led flashlights today will be able to blind somebody without the strobe so the 1st turn on setting will blind an attacker about as well without giving the attacker the time to attack by playing with the light.

i'm still thinking about that anker too, but in my readings it has a funny way of switching the different output levels from the off position and not while in operation.

russ_drinkwater

Get some eneloop pro series batteries as seem a lot better than most on the market.
Give you a longer light time when needed.
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters