What are your thoughts on desulfators?

Started by Jacotenente, February 14, 2017, 10:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

russ_drinkwater

The "sludge" in the bottom of the battery waste collection compartment is not sulphate and is mainly particles from the plates in the batteries as they age. With sufficient charge the sulphate removed from the plates should be returned to the acid suspension.
I stand corrected if I am wrong.
If the plates do not deteriorate then there should not in theory be a build up of particles in the battery.
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

CDN-VT

So Chris ,did you really see a difference in the view of the plates ? Your's look so nice & straight .
My 8Vdc golf cart ones are in sad shape . I'll see If I can take a picture .
You video of your cells looked great .
VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

russ_drinkwater

Nice vid Chris I keep an open mind as to their value!
I am going to connect mine backup for a few months to both banks.
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

Jacotenente

Quote from: CDN-VT on March 26, 2017, 04:18:12 PM
So Chris ,did you really see a difference in the view of the plates ? Your look so nice & straight .
My 8Vdc golf cart ones are in sad shape . I'll see If I can take a picture .
You video of your cells looked great .
VT

Yes, the plates (after one month) looked cleaner and did not sulfate. No real performance difference that I can tell. In fact, I was working on some new 2/0 battery cables this AM...and checking EACH individual battery voltage (with a true RMS Fluke multimeter), cells, water level, and vent cap sludge. Here is what I came up with:
Battery voltages: the maximum voltage variation for all 12 batteries was a .06v (6/100th of a volt). Everything was disconnected, no load, and resting for an hour. So, very pleased.
Cell: Looked clean. Spongy material, plates, etc looked a billion times better than what I see in your pictures.
Water level: NSTR...all good
VENT cap sludge: minor...a little film

Hope this helps. I think the Battery Extra is worth consideration...esp the way your cells look. Mine looked really dirty before. And now, they look clean. Def NOT sulfating. Mine stays on 24/7 @ 400 mA setting. However, I took my clamp meter to the Battery Extra POS lead and it showed 200 mA. So, dunno about that.

v/r
Chris

CDN-VT

Chris , looking at your video again ,Am I seeing that the unit is powered by your battery bank only ?
No external powers ?
http://www.recovermybatteries.com/ex01-12-48-200.html

This one looks to be sealed  ,but the next model up is yours and looks like you can view the internals .
I did read the instruction manual But just to be sure,

VT

Also how long did it take to receive after you paid?
In Canada under the commonwealth , our post is so slow & I know they will use the Canadian extortion of  PAY US or you can't have it.
This is a huge problem in Canada with our customs , they want a tariff/duty/something .
I was going to send it to my Washington address.
VT 

PS Chris , left a Thumbs UP for ya on your channel
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.

ClassicCrazy

Chris - do you ever take specific gravity readings of all your cells ?
It would have been interesting to see any differences in SG readings before and after , might tell if it had made any difference on low cells.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Jacotenente

Quote from: CDN-VT on March 26, 2017, 06:21:15 PM
Chris , looking at your video again ,Am I seeing that the unit is powered by your battery bank only ?
No external powers ?
http://www.recovermybatteries.com/ex01-12-48-200.html

This one looks to be sealed  ,but the next model up is yours and looks like you can view the internals .
I did read the instruction manual But just to be sure,

VT

Also how long did it take to receive after you paid?
In Canada under the commonwealth , our post is so slow & I know they will use the Canadian extortion of  PAY US or you can't have it.
This is a huge problem in Canada with our customs , they want a tariff/duty/something .
I was going to send it to my Washington address.
VT 

PS Chris , left a Thumbs UP for ya on your channel

Thanks! I paid them via PayPal and the unit came in about a week from England. I am in Oklahoma. Looks like the company absorbed all the fees, tariffs, etc. I have a buddy in Ontario and wanted to send him a part (very small). The tariffs from the US to Canada are unreal. Why? Esp, for provinces that border the states? Seems like shipping to Europe is cheaper. Messed up IMO. Canada/US are like a close family members...shouldn't have to deal with this.

cGs

Jacotenente

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on March 26, 2017, 06:37:32 PM
Chris - do you ever take specific gravity readings of all your cells ?
It would have been interesting to see any differences in SG readings before and after , might tell if it had made any difference on low cells.

Larry

Haven't done a refractometer SG test (yet). Should have done that...I have a refractometer.

Chris

CDN-VT

Ordered one , Sent to the USA / Arlington WA & I hope it get's there by the 5th / 05/04/2017  .. Tight ,
VT

Got A e-note , its rushed out & were hoping

Robin

I will tell you all I know about desulfators. All the electrical engineers I have worked with in the Solar industry over the past 30 years are skeptical for a couple of reasons.
1. they are not powerful enough to do much of anything.
2. A charge controller also vibrates the plates, but with a lot more power, so a desulfator would be insignificant.

I asked a Trojan engineer about these things about ten years ago. They had actually done a study on them. This is what he had to say.
Yes, they can help rejuvenate a sulfated battery.
They will destroy a good battery if left on continuously.

There ya go.
Robin Gudgel

CDN-VT

Thanks Robin
So I'll give the unit a whirl & see after a few months what comes !
I have bought & learn't / broken & learn't ..

Glad ya posted Up !!
VT/Nig`

Best forward thoughts on the Maine post also

Jacotenente

Quote from: Robin on March 30, 2017, 01:55:24 AM
I will tell you all I know about desulfators. All the electrical engineers I have worked with in the Solar industry over the past 30 years are skeptical for a couple of reasons.
1. they are not powerful enough to do much of anything.
2. A charge controller also vibrates the plates, but with a lot more power, so a desulfator would be insignificant.

I asked a Trojan engineer about these things about ten years ago. They had actually done a study on them. This is what he had to say.
Yes, they can help rejuvenate a sulfated battery.
They will destroy a good battery if left on continuously.

There ya go.

Thank you for this! I will heed your advice! And I agree.

Chris

CDN-VT

Chris
Mine should make it in Arlington WA next week , and as were back into SUN !!! Ya !! I will use this on that ugly pix I posted of my batterys & take all reading of SG etc. Elly , the golf cart with mobile power had abused 8Vdc trogens & when I first got it. I had to pressure wash the batterys & clean the cart before adding water of 5L added to 6/8Vdc ,all plates exposed & im sure just charged for the garage sale. Good test Cells to see if anything can come . Since I use this on the ranch , most elly has trails is 2.5 miles ,so last year at the end of the ranch back to the house , she still worked  but slow & 45Vdc on gauge. SG was low also , but has increased from first days  till DEC 2016 & I just woke it up from hibernation ..
So we will see.

VT

russ_drinkwater

Like all things. A bit is ok, but a lot more can be harmful. (Too much love will kill you)
Good advice and thanks for that Robin!