Grid tie Battery bank with generator backup

Started by JustLarry, November 01, 2011, 03:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustLarry

Hi folks, I've been scratching my head for a solution to this and am asking for your help. I have a guy that wants to use battery back-up for his home. He wants to use the grid to charge his batteries and then use a generator to charge his batteries if the grid fails. I'll expose my naiveness here by asking why I can't find an autotransfer switch that will allow him to run his battery bank and genny while leaving our linemen safe. I am hoping that the combination of MidNiteSolar and Magnum will lead me to a solution-particularly since the guy has a 230VAC well pump that I need to be mindful of. Help please! 

mike90045

Xantrex XW6048:
has 2 inputs [ AC1, GenSet AC2], is UL 1741 certified, 2 internal transfer relays, and 100a 3-stage battery charger, 230VAC with no transformer needed.

I used a Midnight ePanel for my wiring box with it.
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

windpro

Eaton Cutler-Hammer, Schneider, Square D all make Automatic Transfer switches that are also service entrance rated that also can be locked out.

I do not believe you were asking for the types of inverter options that can full-fill this requirement.