Can I connect two strings with 3 wires

Started by davidwillis, March 17, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidwillis

I have 3 4/0 wires running underground 1000 feet, and I want to setup two strings, one facing west, and one facing east, and will be using two charge controllers (one for each string).  Can I connect all negatives together and run them through one of the wires, then run the positive from one string through the second and the other positive through the third?

RossW

I'm sure there's some regulation out there that says "no", and I'm sure there will be pureists will say you mustn't, but one of my early arrays is run exactly that way. It's only a modest array of two x 600W at a nominal 100V, but it's been working perfectly well since I installed it in July 2009, and I've had no problems with any excessive voltage drop, or that drop causing issues with the charge controller.
3600W on 6 tracking arrays.
7200W on 2 fixed array.
Midnite Classic 150
Outback Flexmax FM80
16 x LiFePO4 600AH cells
16 x LiFePO4 300AH cells
Selectronics SP-PRO 481 5kW inverter
Fronius 6kW AC coupled inverter
Home-brew 4-cyl propane powered 14kVa genset
2kW wind turbine

TomW

Ross;

Totally agree with that.

I also  think "two charge controllers" might be the fly in the buttermilk in this situation?

Seems I recall they don't like sharing a negative lead?

Maybe just feeble memory at work but I would check on that with Ryan.

Just 2 circuits sharing a negative is certainly not a problem, with a few provisions like cable capacity on the negative.

I will poke Ryan to see what he thinks on this.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Halfcrazy

Classics all have common negatives so from that side you would be fine with 3 conductors, keep in mind the negative will be carrying 2x the current so as long as the size is adequate you should be good. Honestly I can not think of an NEC reason not to do it either.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

RossW

Quote from: Halfcrazy on March 17, 2017, 04:09:53 PM
I can not think of an NEC reason not to do it either.

When did they start needing "reasons" for daft regulations??
3600W on 6 tracking arrays.
7200W on 2 fixed array.
Midnite Classic 150
Outback Flexmax FM80
16 x LiFePO4 600AH cells
16 x LiFePO4 300AH cells
Selectronics SP-PRO 481 5kW inverter
Fronius 6kW AC coupled inverter
Home-brew 4-cyl propane powered 14kVa genset
2kW wind turbine

davidwillis

Thanks all for the replies.

I just found out doing this with the flexmax will cause problems with the mppt (I have no idea why).  So it sounds like the midnite controller is the way to go.

CDN-VT

I have 3 4/0 wires

4 gauge  or 4 Ought as in  thumb size wire for a 1000 feet ?
The rest will come

Any IDEA of any voltage ??
or what the 1000 feet is moving ?
PV high or Battery voltage ?

VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

davidwillis

This is actually for a friend of mine, and he said it was 4/0, but I still need to verify.

Voltage will be about 90V off the panels, The charge controller will be next to the battery bank after the 1000' run, and is 24v.

CDN-VT

Looking at this 4 gauge  or 4 ought  size & seeing a 3 strand run , The brain clicked & thought of Primary house feed :
Here: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire-500-ft-4-0-4-0-2-0-Gray-Stranded-AL-SEU-13097101/202316325

That is two runs of 4/ought Aluminum and the third is 2/ought Al also .
I priced out 4G copper @ 3X 1000' = 3000 feet @ 1.49/Ft = just under 4500.00$  so no need to price out the 4/ought  @ 3K feet.

Here is my 4/0 cable 4 lengths @20' from Bank to DC breaker boards

VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

bee88man

Hi, new to forum, solar owner for a year and been doing electrics for quite some time now.
With one cc for east facing, and another cc for west facing...would not even only just a set of 2 wires be able to work?

Ture east / west are never powered at the same time. ;)

Westbranch

True east / west are never powered at the same time

Until you get a foggy/cloudy day when they all will be making power.... but luckily the production should remain at less than 50%... ;)
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

tecnodave

bee88man,

If you have two MPPT controllers wired with only set of wires to two array's it will not work!  No way!
When one controller does an MPPT sweep it will cause a fault in the other controller....Nn way around that...

Now then with the Classic and any other controller that has the negative PV input connected directly to the battery negative bus, you can use a 3 wire feed from two arrays connecting the negatives togather. In one on my setups I did just that, 3 conductors ,250kcmil about 375 feet from 2 Classic 150's with 2 arrays at about 2kw each, using a common negative.

Please note that the Midnite Kid does measure current in the negative lead but does it's MPPT switching on the positive lead then in that case 4 wires are needed.

I have very little experience with the flexmax controllers so I don't know where that they measure current so you would have to determine which wire that they measure current on. I'm assuming that they measure on the positive lead as the Classic was designed by the same crew that the flexmax was, but that is an assumption!

David
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P

bee88man

Beg to differ based on unique facts of the matter...
My statement above earlier was/is contingent on having 2 seprate arrays...one east facing and another west facing as is exactly the OP's case here.

If there are conflicting issues with mppt sweeps with/between these at this 180 degree back to back arrangment then a time clock or photo switch can relay a heavy contactor to swap the unwanted cc out of circuit...just thinking outside the box here. ;)

tecnodave

Bee88man,

You are totally wrong in your assumption that you can run two Classic controllers with only one set of wires from the 1 or 2 or however many array's you have installed.......true only one array will produce significant power when placed back to back as you propose......but what you fail to realize that unless the controllers are synchronized to sweep at exactly the same time then it will not work.....or having only controller do the sweep then down load the parameters to the other controller......Very early versions of the Kid controllers had such a syncing mode called Bully mode but that has been discontinued In later versions of the firmware, I could not get them to sycronize and stopped trying to get my 2 Kid controllers to do that. I have never tried twin mode.

I have tried several times to do controller sycronization and have not been able to do that with any type of controller PWM or MPPT.

I have had several conversations with boB about this and I am convinced that two controllers working on a single pair of wires from the array or array's will not work unless specifically designed to do so. There is not any mechanism that can sycronize the controllers to share sweep data and load sharing.

12 solar controllers total 2 Classis 150's 2 Kids 8 Trace C-40's ........And 50 years in electrical engineering/contracting.....just saying....experience!
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P

bee88man

No arguement here about any syncing.

Okay, but if you can get off the "syncing" issues long enough you may just see that what the OP wants and what I describe is so simple and easy.

Heck, can even do both a east and west arrays w/ just the 3 wire and only one cc.if cc only see 1 array at a time. By this i mean relay off/out of circuit/disconnect whichever array is out of direct sun while other array is in direct sun. No second cc is required ever for this arrangement.

51 years doing same as you. 8)