New Kid Questions

Started by RetiredTech, March 21, 2017, 03:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: AdoraKalb on August 13, 2018, 02:10:54 PM
Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge if you want a larger PV system then I think it is better  to go up to 24v and put all your panels on that at a higher voltage  and get the converter and that way you can do away with the 12v power supply . I am thinking the DC to DC converter is pretty efficient depending on what amp size you need.

Basically the closer the conversion of volts from PV to volts charging the batteries is better in that the controller makes less heat doing the conversion.
The other point is that the controller output is based on amps . So for example 30 amps out at 12 volts is less power than 30 amps at 24 v.
And then there is the cost of wire and voltage drop. So higher voltage from the PV string in means less voltage drop and can use a smaller less expensive sized wire.
So all those things are some things to take into consideration when designing a system. But even if you do the worst case scenario's of highest voltage input converting to the lowest battery voltage the controllers are designed to handle it though they may cut down the output some to keep the electronics in them from getting too hot.
Yes DC to DC voltage converters work great - though you do loose some power in the conversion again because nothing is 100% efficient .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable