Battery Talk

Started by Vic, March 22, 2017, 06:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic

Great idea in having a Battery Talk Section.

Thanks!   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

russ_drinkwater

Lot of cut and paste to be done! Lol.
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

CDN-VT

Yup , Good Addition !!
I moved one of mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p21iZVFHEZk

Not on  desulfators?

On first Gen Tesla cells

These are not 2170 cells or the SI2170 cells
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

Herman

I Think it is a great idea to have a forum on batteries, as I don't follow the norm in Aussie and use Nickel Iron NiFe cells Which i am have great success with would just like to find out more information.

russ_drinkwater

By the way, how are things going with your edison cells Herman?
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

Herman

Hi Mate

It is going well I am about to get another MidNite Classic 150 (new Second hand) to basically use it as follow me with another set of solar panels with 12 BX 65 which are being wasted on my lead acid Bank  Spec sheet is in the attached file it will be setup as 2 in series 6 parallel.

The intent is to simplify every thing and get as much charge into the NiFe cells as I can, but in short the NiFE cells are preforming exceptionally well, just wish the original installer did not under size it and gave me 800 or 500 Ah at least not the 240 ah which only gives me enough charge for 1 day before i have to start the generator.   

russ_drinkwater

You are lucky you got your batteries Herman!
One of my friends ordered some from a seller in Western Australia and paid his
$10,000 up front. The bloke went broke and Scott did his money and of course has no batteries to show for it!
I tried to get him to buy some trojans to start off with as we have a local retailer who does really good prices
and the delivery truck comes right past our property boundary (free delivery).
He is a pretty sorry soul at the moment. ::) :(

Herman

Hi Russ
Sounds like the the bloke I got my solar system from.
He offered me 20 x 1,000 Ah NiFe cells for $15,000 which was like woah that's cheap then the alarm bells started ringing so I said no, as it turned out he had already sold them and got the money and  just needed more cash, he is now in WA as well. 
With the solar system I have nearly replaced the lot bar the batteries which I will probably have to get larger anyway because he totally undersized them and gave us 40 x 240 Ah which runs well for one day then you have to run the generator if it is cloudy on the second.
So I am looking at 500 Ah NiFe cells as per the spec sheet(see attached) and the reasoning for the NiFe cells they are nearly indestructible, you just have one purchase, and have to replace the solution they say every 10 years but I have heard seven not the battery and they are no harmful to the environment unlike some of the stuff that is out there down side is the the initial outlay for them.
The supplier here is 24 hr solar who as just started here in Lismore like everything be aware of the new guy. 

russ_drinkwater

I dream of 2000amps at 24 volts in edison cells.
The only way I will ever be able to afford them is when I get my super.
But atm the rolls cells are working a treat especially after being purchased at scrap prices ;D
My only real concerns with the edisons is how long will the cases last?
Some of the original ones from what i have seen are/were stainless steel.
The way I look at is if the cases split then what do you have?

russ_drinkwater

Never got to look at the cells CD as they went off gumtree listing quick.
All I can say is that we assumed the cells were edisons and that the cell cases appeared metalic and shiney.
May have been something else all together.
All the pictures of the older edison batteries seem to show metal cases for the cells.
Am I wrong?