mixing 2 different brands of panels in an array

Started by solarvic, March 22, 2017, 09:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solarvic

I have a solar array of 8 panels of 1 brand and 8 panels of another brand in one string on a fronius  GT inverter. When you use 2 different kinds of panels do they average their output or go to lower voltage set of panels or go to the higher set of panels. I have a preety long run of about 275 feet to the controller or inverter. Right now my grid tie inverter runs well on 2 runs of #12 wire. If I decide to use controlers I think I can use a classic 150 on a #2 run of aluminum I already have.  I didn,t know the exact values to enter on the string chart so I kind of went in between. I already have a classic I bought 3 or 4 years ago that hasn,t been used yet. I hate to think of running any more wires but that is the only way I can use the charge controller. If I ac couple I need to buy a new inverter and try to sell the one I have. So I need to make the decision whether to do charge control or go the inverter route. It would be a lot less work if I just changed out the inverter.  I either need to ac couple that to a MS 4024 PAE magnum inverter or use charge controlers to use on my fork truck battery. I tried to ac couple to the magnum ms 4024 AE inverter but it didn,t work.  On the string chart it said that 1.2 classic controlers  was color coded green and wouldn,t enter hyper VOC. The array maxium array watts is 2611 and the array configuration is2960. I figure about a 4.25% voltage drop so figure it should work.
Fronuis inverters and sharp, kyocera, mittsubushi solar panels.

ClassicCrazy

The voltages in each string need to be within 10% of each other.  You would use the VOC to do your calculations.
You don't really want to use two different types of panels in the same string if they are different current ratings.
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

solarvic

8 of the panels are 180 watt schuco panels and 8 Kyocera 185 watt panels.  They have been working well for 3 years on a fronuis inverter. The panels add up to 2920 watts and I usualy get that many watts in good sun and a few watts over 3000 watts. That is the bad part about not getting all the panels at 1 time. for instance I have 3 different versions of sharp 167 watt panels but they seem to work well today. VOC I set 30 volts other 29.50 VOC. Will the classivc 150 be able to use them? If not then I will ac couple. I originaly tried to set this up as ac coupled and when I didn,t get the present inverter to ac couple.  an ac c ouple product that would work on any sine wave inverter might be a good product for Midnight Solar to develop. It could disconnect the inverter when the battery voltage is too high just by changing the 60 cycle to 60.5 just like a magnum PAE inverter does.
Fronuis inverters and sharp, kyocera, mittsubushi solar panels.

ClassicCrazy

Yes you can use those panels - like I mentioned before - as long as each string voltage is within 10% of each other you are okay.
You can use the Midnite string calculator to see which combination of series strings will work best and not  over volt the Classic.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable