New type of Aux connector CAUTION

Started by RetiredTech, March 23, 2017, 05:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RetiredTech

Not very pleased with Support.
Here is what I asked them.
QuoteThe aux connector in the unit is different from the illustrations in the manual. The manual shows screw terminals,  the unit appears to have some sort of terminal that has a tiny push button to lock the wire in. Not familiar with the terminal and it looks very delicate. Do you have a procedure to insert / remove wires from it? Can you give me a description of the terminal so I  can research it?
When Support replied they did not answer the  question.
Be careful when inserting wires in the new AUX connector. To insert wires properly you must use an appropriate size of wire, strip it to the proper length, push on the button,  hold the wire in and be sure it touches the bottom then release the button. give the wire a tug to see if you are successful. If not make sure you have stripped enough of the wire so the bare wire will reach the bottom of the connector barrel.
Play Carefully
Attached are pics of the new connector
Midnight Kid
12V 300AH 6Hawker SBS60 AGMs
Up to 4 Can. Solar 260W panels
1000W pure sine inverter  for Cputer and internet
Volt/Bidirectional Ammeter 100A net in/out of battery
Amateur Radio gear and 12V neg grounded

ClassicCrazy

Main thing is  - did the wire slip in easily ? I often have trouble with the other type of small connectors that don't open all the way - they leave a small piece of metal at an angle. They probably work great for solid wire but usually when I am trying to shove in stranded wire it doesn't slide in easily and bends or a strand  or two will get bent sideways.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

dgd

Can't understand why you are not pleased with Support
Its only a simple connector and hardly requires a research exercise to figure out how to push a wire into it and make sure it is gripped properly
They seem to have given you a detailed reply on the use of the connector

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

RetiredTech

dgd
Did you read my post? Support sent me nothing to deal with the issue. I left out the grief I went through to figure out  how the connector works. The explanation I posted was what I figured out playing with it till I got it right. I almost FUBARed the + connection that I tried first. Looking down the barrel the connector looked open so I pushed the wire in first then pushed the button down. Wrong. That took some time to get the button to retract fiddling with a dental pick. Then I had to determine the correct length of wire to strip to make sure the wire reached the bottom of the barrel so the spring clip could bite on it.

Brad
Midnight Kid
12V 300AH 6Hawker SBS60 AGMs
Up to 4 Can. Solar 260W panels
1000W pure sine inverter  for Cputer and internet
Volt/Bidirectional Ammeter 100A net in/out of battery
Amateur Radio gear and 12V neg grounded

dgd

I did read your post but I thought you were repeating what support told you to do, the part about wire stripping etc..  sorry if I got that wrong
Dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Halfcrazy

I did ask Tech Support to stop by here and comment on this but they do not like to participate int he forum, I also asked for a better explanation of this terminal in the manual but no one thought it was needed

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Westbranch

Possibly  tell them we are mere mortals and don't bite...  as well as being Technically challenged??? ;)
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

TomW

Quote from: Westbranch on March 27, 2017, 12:16:15 PM
Possibly  tell them we are mere mortals and don't bite...  as well as being Technically challenged??? ;)

Support can be  a thankless job!

It is a bit archaic to NOT provide quality online support with company staff in this connected age.

Personally, I am surprised at the lack of actual competent tech support from one particular company that shall remain nameless. Of the half dozen phone calls and at least as many support@ emails not one even got me past the voice mail or auto response email telling me how important my support needs were to them.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

solarvic

There are sellers on EBAY that are well known.  When they put on their add make offer. I usually do. If they do not respond to either accept your offer or make a counter offer They shouldn,t be allowed to advertise MAKE OFFEDR. I made a reasonable offer of on a !(.97 of $1.97 lower than the asking price and never got a response. Ebay sent me an survey about my recent transaction and I told them   asking me how I liked the make offer. I told them what I said here. After answering the survey from Ebay I decided to make an offer 1 cent higher just to see what happens. About a half hour later I received an email from ebay that the seller honored my new offer. I had read on another forum that this seller never responds to offers. So I guess it does help if you respond to ebay.  So I feel that people that sell stuff should respond to customers questions especially if they sold them the product. 
Fronuis inverters and sharp, kyocera, mittsubushi solar panels.

Resthome

Quote from: Halfcrazy on March 27, 2017, 08:49:31 AM
I did ask Tech Support to stop by here and comment on this but they do not like to participate int he forum, I also asked for a better explanation of this terminal in the manual but no one thought it was needed

Ryan

Ryan yours and boB's past support is what made MN support so great in the past.  It is sad to see it slip away as the products have been great. We have chocked it up to all the time being spent on the new products. But clearly the above comments are a concern, at least to me.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA