AFCI Protection for KID (or other CC)

Started by baphenatem, April 08, 2017, 10:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baphenatem

I have to say that I really like my KID charge controller and the it works well in my truck camper RV application. However, there is an issue in that i can't fully utilize the input voltage flexibility and remain in compliance with the National Electrical Code 690.11 requirement for arc fault protection when the PV voltage is at 80 Volts or greater. Do you guys have anything in the works to deal with this issue? It would be simple enough to implement via a Sensata PVAF-T sensor and an input to the KID or to a shunt trip breaker of some sort (perhaps the ground fault breaker), but this is something that would likely have to be done at the system level to adhere to the UL 1699 requirements.

ClassicCrazy

Seems like it may be more economical to use a Classic instead of a Kid if arc fault protection is needed. It is built in on the Classic.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable