Help with law on "UL Listed"

Started by tecnodave, September 18, 2017, 02:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tecnodave

I have a bone head local planner who is "Requiring UL listing" on all products used in building construction.  He will not accept ETL testing.

Can someone quote me the U.S. Supreme Court ruling that ruled that as invalid as it violates monopoly law, also the U.S. Law that allows any NRTL testing lab to certify compliance with U.L. Standards.

Thanks

David

It's been law in the U.S. for at least 37 years and probably back to the "Carter phone " decision that broke up ATT's absolute monopoly on the phone network....somewhere in the '60's
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P

Vic

Hi Dave,  did some searches on this,   but there is too much detail to pour through,   and too little time here to do it.

Would suggest that you politely move up the command structure of that Planning/Development department  ...   perhaps trying to contact the Director of Planning or Planning & Development Director.

We ALL have come in contact with some Planners/Inspectors that seem to want to be very,  very difficult...

Good Luck,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Robin

Take Vic's advice. The inspector does have the option of requiring UL only however none of them do this. It is ridiculous. This inspector must be a rookie that doesn't know anything. ETL, CSA, TUV, SGS all are NRTL's that list products to the UL standards. UL gets to write the standards. That part of UL has nothing to do with the part of UL that does the listings.
All of this is in the NEC somewhere. Go to your inspectors boss. This is a bad inspector.
Robin Gudgel

tecnodave

Robin and Vic,

Thanks for the advice, I did contact several inspectors and I beleive that the issue will be straightened out. I'm known across many local jurisdictions for the high quality of my work and have been assured that my proposed system will be passed even though is not "standard 60 cell grid tie" . I'm using 96 cell all glass frameless panels (they are 5" poly crystal in a standard 60 cell 6" size format) with Sunny Boy transformer less inverters. 4 strings  of 7 panels for a VMP of 366 volts which is the most efficient power point of the Sunny Boy transformer less inverter, ground mount for optimum orientation. This planner had never heard of frameless panels or ungrounded systems so he is definitely not up to date on solar issues. Gotta educate these guys!

David

Ok so the cat is out of the bag....I do solar installations professionally but it is only a small fraction of my work, I mostly do complex systems failure analysis. I'm not looking to underbid local contractors.
I have more demanding work to do.
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P