Need advise on GROUNDING in a MOBILE trailer set up.

Started by Trigger, June 05, 2017, 11:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trigger

Hey guys, I am a bit baffled by all the different grounding scenarios  (no ground rod to attach to being mobile)  To start off I have 4/270 watt panels in series = 1080 watts, Midnight classic 200 controller,
Running a 6 volt x 4= 24 volt bank, 

* (Green) Earth grounded all panel frames together and bonded to roof (chassis), 3- 6 gauge wires coming through roof down to breaker panel ( green , PV+ , PV- )
* Green coming into breaker panel on earth lug then splits to controller earth lug and down through the floor. ( at this point I have not grounded to chassis frame! ( Should I ground here? )
* Pv+  through 15 amp breaker and then to controller on PV+ input.
* PV-  direct to the controller on PV- input.
* DC+ out of controller through 63 amp breaker then to positive side of 24v battery bank.
* DC-  out of controller direct to neg side of 24v battery bank.

The neg side of batteries have not been grounded to chassis. ( Should I make this ground? )
How does the Arc fault feature play into this scenario or does it at all?

I appreciate anyone"s help that is familiar with this type of set up.

Thanks.  :)

ClassicCrazy

This seems to be a well documented build in a trailer.
http://rimstar.org/renewnrg/sp_off_grid_solar_power_rv_motor_home.htm

I also did a google search and there are lots of articles on grounding ( or not ) for RV's and boats.

I didn't wrap my head around all the ins and outs of how it is supposed to be done . The inverter AC seems to take some special consideration to not tie the neutral to frame I think it says .

Read up and let us know what you figure out !
I also tried to find a past discussion on the forums here but didn't find good details.
wish I could help more ! Maybe someone else has some answers.
https://www.google.com/search?q=where+do+you+ground+solar+system+on+a+RV+behicle+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#safe=off&q=where+do+you+ground+solar+system+on+a+RV+vehicle

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Robin

Nice wiring job. You should add the ground to the chassis. You do not have to ground the battery negative. I prefer not to do that on 12 and 24V systems. You must ground the battery minus at 48V per NEC.

Inverters get a little weird when you have an integrated charger. The rule is that you do not ground the Neutral to earth when connected to shore power, but when dry camping and the inverter is your power source, you are supposed to ground the neutral. How do you ground something that rests on rubber tires? I guess they are treating the frame as ground. I would not make a big deal out of the ground switching. In my mind, you can make a case for it being more safe to not ground the neutral at times. Boats in particular.
Too bad you will have to open up the Classic again to add voice. We should be putting it up on the forum this week. We are satisfied with it for now, so now we need all the forum gurus to give it a try. It takes something like 3 hours to download the files into the Classic. We will have good instructions when this is released. That is the hold up at this point.
We will now start recording Spanish. Then all we need is French.

Robin
Robin Gudgel

ClassicCrazy

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Robin on June 06, 2017, 12:51:50 AM
Nice wiring job. You should add the ground to the chassis. You do not have to ground the battery negative. I prefer not to do that on 12 and 24V systems. You must ground the battery minus at 48V per NEC.

Inverters get a little weird when you have an integrated charger. The rule is that you do not ground the Neutral to earth when connected to shore power, but when dry camping and the inverter is your power source, you are supposed to ground the neutral. How do you ground something that rests on rubber tires? I guess they are treating the frame as ground. I would not make a big deal out of the ground switching. In my mind, you can make a case for it being more safe to not ground the neutral at times. Boats in particular.
Too bad you will have to open up the Classic again to add voice. We should be putting it up on the forum this week. We are satisfied with it for now, so now we need all the forum gurus to give it a try. It takes something like 3 hours to download the files into the Classic. We will have good instructions when this is released. That is the hold up at this point.

Robin

Three hours ? Wow that is a long upload ! But I will be glad to give the voice beta  a try when you let it loose on us Robin .
Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Robin

We have had some issues downloading in the past. It was easy to brick the MNGP. I do not know if that was related to an upgrade or just what? In any case, if any of you brick an MNGP, we can fix it. The Classic still works when you unplug the MNGP, so if it goes South, just send it to us and we will add the voice and get it back to you.
I think the fun will begin once you all hear what it does and then ask for additional things. We will have to save up the list of wants and do this later. It was a real @&%@ to get it this far and I am sure we could keep Andrew in France busy for years making changes to it. We will probably add stuff when we release Spanish and French.
There is a way to play everything the Classic knows as far as words and sentences. She talks continuously for about 12 minutes, maybe more. We have not tied all the words and phrases into button pushes yet, but there are a lot of things in there, so future upgrades may not need uploading of the voice files. Nah, that just isn't ever going to happen. There will be some new word. Feel free to run the full audio file and think up more things to do with those words. That is much easier than uploading 3 hours of voice files.
Robin Gudgel

Westbranch

Robin can we down load that file and load from a terabyte drive?  I hope so, as my Sat link is pretty slow... :o
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

ClassicCrazy

Robin,
Can you make a new topic for this voice firmware beta version ? Then it will be easier to keep up with it .
Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Trigger

Thanks for the help guys.  I just wanted to be sure of things and have an understanding!  ;)
I may have more questions to come as I am new to this technology.

grgdgreek

Quote from: Robin on June 06, 2017, 12:51:50 AM

Robin

And ,Greek

;D
Home:6*135w mitsu.10*175w shuko. 2* cl150.3*D400 turbines.
Rolls18*4v series 5000 545ah*3 .2*Victron 3000 multiplus inv/chg. 24v. Shop:28*185w shuko. Sunny island. Sunnyboy.Rolls 40*s530.48volt.Sunny web box.