News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

DC switches.

Started by russ_drinkwater, April 16, 2017, 05:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin

I will tell Michelle to give you all the 156 amp switches you want. No charge. She will get them from Walter, but I will show here where they are located.
Robin Gudgel

CDN-VT

Thank You Robin

I'll get them sent over to Russ .
Im thinking it worth a bunch of donuts for all the staff ! I can handle that as well .
Russ , I know yur a day ahead , but wake up !!

VT ;)
EDIT ADD :
I have been in-touch with russ in Az land , I called & had a chat .
He was working with ryan on two WBjr's that failed  Said he couldn't post pictures etc for ryan .
I'm going to ask Walter to sell me two WBjrs for russ & let his AUZI dealer handle the problem .

Russ will send me his pictures & i'll resize them & post  them here & (russ where was your original post on the WBjr  ? )

I hear from Russ , he's doing Birthday stuff this week !! Sounds better than dun-dee ;)

VT/ Nig`
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

tecnodave

Russ,

I bought some of these from the garage sale then Robin gave me some more. They are really rugged. They are wired 4 units in series but I have used some with wiring changed to parallel. Some are used on Caterpillar electric forklifts for emergency shutdown. None have failed. One of the forklifts had a stuck (welded) contactor which did a lot of damage when it raced out control. They can be remotely tripped but do not put non governed power to the trip coil. A 100 ms. Pulse at about 17 volts will trip them. The units are internally ganged so it's not possible to use them as independent switches. Midnite uses a similar trip coil on thr rapid shutdown systems so they have the exact details for tripping.

Same trip specs as the MNDC175RT  and MNDC250RT breakers. 

These units were custom built for Midnite so Carlingswich will not release any data on them but by downloading the E frame breaker catalog from Carlingswich you can deduce all the information from that catalog.

I have them on each of my battery banks just in case of a massive failure or short.

Dave
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P

russ_drinkwater

I have paypaled the cash for postage etc.
Really appreciate the help guys as I have had one chinese circuit breaker cook and do not want risk this again if the house is unattended especially in the summer months.
Only 24 volt systems, but once the input to the batteries gets to 50-60 amps plus things can get very warm.
I may have to turn up some step down cable lugs to fit into the classic so I can run heavier cable from the reg to the batteries as well. ;D
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

CDN-VT

BUSY BUSY day , saw Mr W @ Midnite , We crawled up & got the item's . Packed & then weighted for shipping , paper work out the ozzue , they are sent . Treats also delivered . I was thinking they were just small & quick , took the day to get this to happen .
eight PM and now Im packing to move @ 05:00 loaded for my trip !
I saw the B17 working , BUT Michelle was off today & so I'm not going to push such a nice offer & ask/disturb Robin for a picture allowance . 07:40-09:20 @ the Midnite , postal till 16:00 & 4 trips , man !

VT

Edit add : Im back in Kanada now & have my camera for post up the pictures , Huge breakers & weight .
Russ , USPS receipt  sent from e-mail
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.

ralph day

Sounds like a fun filled day Nigel.  How did the B17 look in operation?  As cool as the still photos so far released?

Ralph

russ_drinkwater

Yes I have slobbered over the b17 on the youtube clip :-[ :(
Be a long wait for me to procure one, sigh!
Even longer if they do not eventually make them in various voltages. :'(
Thanks again for all the effort Nigel!
Have to admit I got a bit of a scare when I saw that fried dc isolator switch!
I knew that they were not the best, but was all I had at the time.
Sure hope this cures the problems ;D
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

CDN-VT

Quote from: ralph day on May 02, 2017, 07:46:46 AM
Sounds like a fun filled day Nigel.  How did the B17 look in operation?  As cool as the still photos so far released?

Ralph

Well I saw it / looked at it doing it's thing BUT since I was on a mission I didn't really study it . I could of spent some serious time , But without approval , no movies or pictures ,and I was just passing by it on the way to Mr W office .
It was just before 9 Am or so as I passed it , cloudy gray day & light rain . It was doing something  cuz i saw one meter going blue /red . If I had know that it was setup & working when I first got there @ 07:30 , then I would of had a much closer look .

VT

Edit Add: Ralph , I know yur still looking for an outback cover . I just haven't been in that area with the right folks , YET !
Canada & it's Customs is a huge pain , That is why I do all my stuff  myself .

russ_drinkwater

Thanks for your efforts while there Nigel!
You have the last of the postage there now?

Robin

Nigel, thanks for all the help with this. You are welcome to take pictures and video of the B17 or just about anything else we are working on. The only secret thing at the moment is the Little Willy. Magnum and OutBack are not going to like the Little Willey at all!

The B17 will have a 3 and 5 bay version. For those of you who have not seen the Alt-E video, go to our home page and look for the B17 article. You can click on something there that takes you to the videos.
The modules plug in with a blind mate connector. We are planning on 2000 watts per module, so at 48V, that is a bit over 40 amps. We do have 80 amp contacts on the connector, so maybe we can do a 24V unit, but it would be limited to the three bay version. We have an integrated 250 amp breaker. If you had two inverter modules and one controller module, you would be at 166 amps for the two inverter modules. You don't want to go much over that due to surge power. We could have a problem on the 48V five bay version depending on how many inverter modules are installed? We do use long trip curve breakers, but we are really pushing the limits here.
I do expect that there will be some good deals for beta testing B17's later this year to our forum gang, so hang in there. It really is a cool product. You normally don't sit around and stare at your inverter, but with the B17, you can't help but stare at it. It is just a very cool product.
We have another engineering tech starting Thursday to help out on the inverter projects. We are also toying with hiring another engineer to help Bob. The battery based inverter project is massive. There are four main battery based inverters, not just one. Our batteryless inverter projects are going well too.
Hope this helps,
Robin
Robin Gudgel

Westbranch

Hi Robin,
can we get a B-17 specific thread started as Larry asked for, for the VOICE upgrade...?
it would keep all the data /info easier to locate.

tks.
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

CDN-VT

Quote from: Robin on June 06, 2017, 01:11:51 AM
Nigel, thanks for all the help with this. You are welcome to take pictures and video of the B17 or just about anything else we are working on.
Robin

Thanks Robin .
I do NOT like to assume & overstep !
Respect & as you know I ask to  do stuff.

VT / Nig`

russ_drinkwater

Been busy over winter, but I have the alloy for the switch mounting frames.
Just have to pull my finger out before the solar output start to peak again.
System has been making 10-12 kw per day on average and the rolls batteries are performing well for the "junkers" they were at purchase.
Switches/circuit breakers have remained a lot cooler over winter even thought the input has been similar.

daklein

Thanks Robin,  The switches showed up today, and will work out great.  I'll send a picture once I get them set up.      Thanks for your help!   Dale

daklein

Thanks for this great DC switch,  here are a couple of pictures of it installed!   In the future I may set up the shunt trip for a dirty shutdown.   I redid the busbars so it's 4 156A in parallel, 2 for each forklift FLA battery.  If I like, I could separate the handle linkage on the front to be able to run each battery separately, although then the shunt trip would only work for one side.

I've seen these offered very reasonably on Ebay also, great for a lithium bank.